Why is Anglicanism typically less guilt-ridden than Roman Catholicism?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Traveler, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The problem with your approach AFA the RC denom is concerned is that it looks like you are refusing to turn up and get the little parcels of 'salvation' this week. THEY have lost control over one of 'theirs' who should be there to take their weekly 'fix' for sin. (It is their view of what and for whom communion is FOR and what happens at every communion, that leads them to think that way, of your absence from THEIR ceremony by THEIR priest). It is a 'sin', in their estimation, because you will have not received THEIR 'fix' for YOUR 'sins' from THEM. You failed to turn up to eat the little piece of Jesus that they have gone to all the trouble of producing for you each Sunday. They don't see your salvation in terms of what you believe Christ has done for you once and for all on a cross 2000 years ago. They see your salvation depending on what you DO this Sunday.

Annie Grace likes this.
  2. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    in Germany about 5 per cent of the Catholics go to sunday church service

what does that tell us?

3. Raoul Michel

Raoul Michel New Member

Argentina
    Religion:
    Catholic? Orthodox? SAD?

No significa nada en sí mismo. Los datos estadísticos (y cualquier tipo de información empírica) deben interpretarse en su contexto. Existe algo llamado Ley de Hempel, también conocida como Modelo de Ley de Cobertura. Esta ley fue propuesta por el filósofo de la ciencia Carl Gustav Hempel y sostiene que el mismo evento o conjunto de datos puede explicarse mediante múltiples teorías diferentes, siempre que cada teoría cumpla con ciertos criterios de adecuación lógica y empírica.

Decir que sólo el 5% de los católicos alemanes asisten a misa puede verse como el declive del catolicismo en Alemania, pero también como "tocar fondo" y el momento de un resurgimiento, o la existencia de un "núcleo duro" de católicos. Surgen preguntas: ¿Qué edades tienen? ¿En qué región se encuentran? ¿Asisten a servicios de grupos tradicionalistas? ¿Ha aumentado la asistencia a oratorios privados? Esto último es importante porque no se cuenta la asistencia a oratorios privados. Hay un estudio en el que participé en Argentina que muestra cómo, mientras los números disminuían en una parroquia, aumentaban en un oratorio privado de una comunidad católica en perfecta alineación con el Vaticano. Una vez más, los datos por sí solos se pueden utilizar para cualquier cosa.

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Google translator is really neat, don't you think!

Raoul Michel and Nevis like this.
  5. Gian Inchauspe

Gian Inchauspe New Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I found this conversation exquisite. I was baptized as an adult and confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church, but I never matured in that faith. I became an Episcopalian in 2005, but of course I dragged with me many prejudices and preconceptions of my Roman Catholic heritage since my family religious references were based mainly in the Roman Catholic faith. Auricular confession was something that I never understood since the person who confessed had to the feel repentance of the confessed sin. Then, if I already repented of a sin why did I need to confess it? How was possible that I would find material for frequent confession if I had repented already? It was a really confusing practice for me. Now I see auricular confession more like a counseling meeting with your spiritual leader. Sometimes we have an issue and we do not find the way to solve it. In those cases you go for counseling with somebody who can shed light on the issue. If it is a mental issue, I go with a psychology/psychiatry. If it is a relational issue, I may ask friends or relatives. If it is a spiritual issue, I go with the priest or somebody spiritually wise and I feel in peace.

Tiffy likes this.
  6. Gian Inchauspe

United States of America
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Yes, it is. There is something called the precept. A Roman Catholic believer is mandated to attend mass every Sunday and “precept” days (main Church celebrations that do not fell on a Sunday). If there is no a real serious excuse to miss Sunday mass or a precept liturgy, the believer is in mortal sin since he/she did not sanctify the feast.

7. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    and how is it with protestants

8. Gian Inchauspe

United States of America
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I do not know about all protestants. I know about Episcopalians. We are supposed to go Sunday to sanctify the feast, but many do not go and they are not considered to have committed a mortal sin. Actually, we speak little about sins.

Br. Thomas and Annie Grace like this.
  9. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Forgive me for I am not a theologian or a priest but a simple communicant in a small APA parish. I was a member of TEC for 59 of my 60 years. You won’t hear much if anything about sin. Because sin makes us wildly uncomfortable. And mortal sin?!? Don’t even start:crosssign2:

Regarding confession, consider this poor analogy.

You harm someone. Later you feel bad about it. Promise never to do it again. The individual of your transgression hears about your remorse and knows your sorry. Is it truly resolved? Possibly. But if you approach the injured party and tell him to his face “I have offended you. I am sorry. Please forgive me. ”, which he does. Is the issue then resolved? Absolutely because you know it’s so. You heard it yourself.

Jesus gave his apostles the ability to retain and forgive sins. That gift of the Holy Spirit has been passed through the ages by apostolic succession. Your ordained priest stands in persona Christi and has been vest by his Bishop the power to forgive and retain sins. Thus, at the conclusion of your humble and sincere confession, you know you are forgiven. Case closed.

I mentioned earlier I was an Episcopalian for 98% of my life. A strong churchman and a leader within the Cathedral, many were shocked when I left. But for me, as I explained to the Dean: it wasn’t a question of “if”; it should’ve been a question of “when.” All my life I searched for the fullness of the Faith “as was delivered by the Saints”. I knew it and the Dean probably knew it. The reason I did not go to the East or RC - after much reading, meditation, research, and prayer - is grounded in why our Faith is via media: where the East and RC don’t agree, so you find me (and the vast majority like-minded members of the G3). We are, to the extent of my understanding, truly the closest example of the One, Catholic as professed in the English tradition (indeed, the only of its kind). You may find that fullness but my experience you won’t. But is it better than not worshiping God? No sir. I give thanks that you are member of the Church, which has many parts. I further pray you worship in that beauty of holiness so others may be drawn to your search (I feel you ain’t done) and hopefully you will feel this feeling I have finally realized as I rejoice in my thanks, my hope and my salvation— his infinite Majesty, the Father; His true and only Son; and the Holy Ghost, the Comforter.

Now pray for me, a sinner.

Spiritus and Br. Thomas like this.
  10. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Everyone,

Regarding the above, please forgive my typos (and the many other responses I craft). I respond almost as soon as I meditate on the topic at hand and, if do repsond, I often "tap" on my phone and try to proofread, but it never comes out correctly. When I sit at my desk and go to the forum, I get irritated at my lack of discipline. Again, please forgive me.