What is the Anglican view of abortion, birth control?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Truth, and Ethics' started by Lowly Layman, Jan 4, 2013.

?

Do you believe:

1. Abortion is a sin

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Birth Control is a sin

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I ask this question in purely a theological sense. I realize that there maybe legal/political implications to one answer but I am not asking if it should be legal so much as whether Anglicanism specifically teaches against abortion and/or birth control. My personal view is that elective (rather than medically necessary) abortion is a grave sin (Thou shalt do no murder), while I waffle back and forth on the birth control issue. In Genesis, God commands his people to be fruitful and multply. Onan was punished for spilling his seed on the ground. The New Testament, however, seems rather quiet on the subject, except in Paul's first letter to Timothy, where he says a woman is saved in childbirth. The church fathers, on the other hand, are not:

"Because of its divine institution for the propagation of man, the seed is not to be vainly ejaculated, nor is it to be damaged, nor is it to be wasted" Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor of Children 2:10:91:2 (A.D. 191).

"To have coitus other than to procreate children is to do injury to nature." Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor of Children 2:10:95:3 (A.D. 191).

"f anyone in sound health has castrated himself, it behooves that such a one, if enrolled among the clergy, should cease [from his ministry], and that from henceforth no such person should be promoted. But, as it is evident that this is said of those who willfully do the thing and presume to castrate themselves, so if any have been made eunuchs by barbarians, or by their masters, and should otherwise be found worthy, such men this canon admits to the clergy." Council of Nicaea I, Canon 1 (A.D. 325).
    "This proves that you [Manicheans] approve of having a wife, not for the procreation of children, but for the gratification of passion. In marriage, as the marriage law declares, the man and woman come together for the procreation of children. Therefore, whoever makes the procreation of children a greater sin than copulation, forbids marriage and makes the woman not a wife but a mistress, who for some gifts presented to her is joined to the man to gratify his passion." Augustine, The Morals of the Manichees 18:65 (A.D. 388).

"Why do you sow where the field is eager to destroy the fruit, where there are medicines of sterility, where there is murder before birth? You do not even let a harlot remain only a harlot, but you make her a murderess as well…Indeed, it is something worse than murder, and I do not know what to call it; for she does not kill what is formed but prevents its formation. What then? Do you condemn the gift of God and fight with his [natural] laws?…Yet such turpitude…the matter still seems indifferent to many men—even to many men having wives. In this indifference of the married men there is greater evil filth; for then poisons are prepared, not against the womb of a prostitute, but against your injured wife. Against her are these innumerable tricks." John Chrysostom, Homilies on Romans 24 (A.D. 391).

"You may see a number of women who are widows before they are wives. Others, indeed, will drink sterility and murder a man not yet born, [and some commit abortion]." Jerome, Letters 22:13 (A.D. 396).

"For thus the eternal law, that is, the will of God creator of all creatures, taking counsel for the conservation of natural order, not to serve lust, but to see to the preservation of the race, permits the delight of mortal flesh to be released from the control of reason in copulation only to propagate progeny." Augustine, Against Faustus 22:30 (A.D. 400).
    "I am supposing, then, although you are not lying [with your wife] for the sake of procreating offspring, you are not for the sake of lust obstructing their procreation by an evil prayer or an evil deed. Those who do this, although they are called husband and wife, are not; nor do they retain any reality of marriage, but with a respectable name cover a shame. Sometimes this lustful cruelty, or cruel lust, comes to this, that they even procure poisons of sterility…Assuredly if both husband and wife are like this, they are not married, and if they were like this from the beginning they come together not joined in matrimony but in seduction. If both are not like this, I dare to say that either the wife is in a fashion the harlot of her husband or he is an adulterer with his own wife." Augustine, Marriage and Concupiscence 1:15:17 (A.D. 419).

2. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    I'd contend that both are sins, abortion being the gravest.

Mercy and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I think abortion is murder. I do not believe birth control is a sin.

Lowly Layman likes this.