What is faith?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Toma, Sep 30, 2012.

1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    i) The movement for inclusive catholic faith in the Church of England

ii) Yes

iii) It accepts that there are other Christian churches which are not catholic but which subscribe to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity. I t does not accept that there is no difference

iv) Yes

(Re ii) and iii) above, that's my understanding. For further detail and information, you can contact them via their website.)

2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    i) I meant as a national church of course.

ii) And yet even then they wouldn't be a good first step, or even the 2nd or 3rd.

iii) Ok I see what you mean here, and agreed.

3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I read somewhere that the CofE gets as many converts from the RC Church as the other way round. Be that as it may, when I've mentioned this to RCs, they simply refuse to accept it. The "received truth" is that it's all one way: Anglican -> RC. Now that's not true. In nearly every congregation we have some ex-RCs. There are many reasons for this. And the CofE makes a lot less fuss about "conversions" than does the RC Church. Remember that when RCs join us, it's a very simple process, because we recognise their Orders, baptism and confirmation.

As for "converts" from other faiths, note my use of inverted commas. Many people "just drift in", especially older people. They might have been members of other churches before, or just lapsed Anglicans.

Your perception that we have "an awful time" is possibly to do with the CofE's appalling public relations, not least in contrast with the RCs. We are very good at hiding our light under a bushel.

4. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    The ,'awful time,' for the C of E, is of their own making as far as I can see.
    There are no beliefs, for individuals except of swinging and keeping up to date, keeping abreast of the times. the C. of E., has impeccable antecedents , but now what is the faith? As you say they are inclusive, but what are they,, or what is it! They neither teach it as I was taught sixty years ago, or protect the faith as it was handed down to them.
    I have no fall out with women ministers, but Rome & Orthodoxy benefited from them not the C. of. E. Our weaker bretheren are filling the seats in our two sister churches, it's public relations that keep the C.of.E, going!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
    Spherelink likes this.
  5. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican

i) This post is in breach of House Rule II 1: "no derogatory comments shall be made about the Church of England". (My comment about our poor public relations is directed at their press office, with whom I, and others, have locked horns more than once).

ii) You second paragraph is flawed to put it mildly. As one of the few Church of England posters here (a view from the inside), we have benefited greatly from women priests. And the RC Ordinariate has in effect failed.

6. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Friend? Anyone lost from Traditional Anglicanism is something of a tradgedy, to be lost from Anglicanism is to be separated from western orthodoxy as Anglicans they hold to the faith, revealed by Christ and written in scripture and interpreted by the father. They belong in fact to Western orthodoxy. Rome isn't that, there are no alternatives.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Since your derogatory post about the Cof E has yet to be deleted, let me tell you what things are like in reality. In our diocese, half the ordinands proceeding to the diaconate and the priesthood are women. Without them we would be unable to fill our vacancies. In our parish we are on our second woman priest. The first was appointed some fifteen years ago. She was a Roman Catholic who wanted to be priested. The members of the electoral roll were canvassed. All but four were in favour. They went to other Anglican churches, not to Rome. Two subsequently returned. The priest was considered a success. She moved on after ten years and was succeeded by another woman. It is not an issue for us.

"The faith" is contained in the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral.

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

There is a fine line between offering a criticism and being derogatory, but please try to toe it.

Lowly Layman likes this.