Ways to more wisely use resources!

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Scottish Knight, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I thought this would be a great idea to suggest ideas to get the most from our resources, to save more and to benefit the environment. I'd really like to hear good sugestions :)

I discovered something recently - old teabags make great compost. Now I don't throw away my tea bags but I empty them on the garden and the plants have been looking healthier than ever

Know any more tips?

Edit: I just realised this thread topic is not helping remove the "Scots are stingy with money" stereotype :p

Anna Scott and Scottish Monk like this.
  2. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Cut open plastic containers of hand creams etc. you find there is another weeks worth of lotion in that you can't manage to squeeze out of it. Also add a little water to your empty detergent bottle there is at least another 2 wash ups in the bottle. :)

3. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Gordon,
    I do stuff like this all the time. lol.

The most difficult thing is getting that last bit of toothpaste out of the tube. :D

Every bit that we do not waste saves the environment just a little. Baby steps.

4. Anna Scott

Does the whole tea bag break down into the compost? Does this work for potted plants, also? Just wondering.

I really didn't know about the "stingy with money" stereotype. I've learned something. :D

I think composting is a great idea. I grew up on a farm, so we did all kinds of things that seem like new ideas today. lol.

I live in a condo now, so no composting.

We just started a recycling project.

Sadly, since we have wooded areas nearby, I can't even grow patio tomatoes. Those are rough rules for a country girl. But then, even the smallest gardens attract critters.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    You can get that last little bit of toothpaste but it does take patience.... :)

Anna Scott likes this.
  6. Anna Scott

If only I were a patient woman. :D

7. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh glad to hear that you haven't heard that sterotype, it's certainly not true lol

I have tried it with the tea bags and they do seem to break down but takes a bit so I just prefer to empty them. i have to admit I haven't tried them with potted plants but I don't see why they wouldn't work =D

Oh what's involved with the recycling project?

Hvae you tried growing anything indoors? A few years ago my family grew some fantastic tomatoes indoors!

8. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    That is a great common sense idea Gordon, thanks

I read that bannana skins are supposed to be good for polishing leather shoes due to the oils in the bannana. I have tried this and I'm not sure if I can recomend this idea lol - the shoes do look shinier but they also smell of fruit :p and I had to wipe off some bits that came off the skin lol but it does work apart from that :D

Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  9. Scottish Knight

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Or desperation when it's night and you don't feel like getting redressed to go to the shops :p