Three Days and Three Nights in Matthew 12:40

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by rstrats, Jul 26, 2013.

1. rstrats

rstrats New Member

USA
    Jay,

Since it appears that you are not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably aren't aware of any examples.

2. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Afraid not.

3. rstrats

rstrats New Member

USA
    jay,
    re: "Afraid not."

OK, perhaps someone new looking in will know of examples.

4. rstrats

rstrats New Member

USA
    The Messiah said that 3 night times would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth". However, there are those who believe that the Messiah died on the 6th day of the week and who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the time between the leaving of His spirit from His body and His resurrection on the 1st day of the week. But this belief allows for only 2 night times to be involved. To reconcile this discrepancy some say that the Messiah was using common Jewish figure of speech/colloquial language. I am simply asking for examples to support that assertion of commonality; i.e., examples where a daytime or a night time was forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

5. rstrats

rstrats New Member

USA
    Since it's been awhile, maybe someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

6. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was reading something from Basil of Caesarea the other day and he was not overly concerned with the 3 days and nights idiom in any sort of literal sense, but rather converted the figure into 40 hours in the tomb. He did this because of the symbolical importance of 40 in both Testaments: 40 years, 40 days, finally 40 hours. It made a lot of sense to me but I don't have the book -or the passage- at hand just now.

7. rstrats

rstrats New Member

USA
    Shane R,

I'm afraid your comment deals with issues with regard to a different topic.