This is Anglican Worship

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Classical Anglican, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Classical Anglican

Classical Anglican Active Member Anglican

U.K.
    Religion:
    Church of England
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I've found it to be a very effective juxtaposition of religious chant with liturgical expressions from our prayerbook.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

What are the origins of Anglican liturgy? How does Anglicanism avoid the worship wars you see in the low churches?

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The apostolic times, I have been told. I'm sure there are others who can provide more information.

As to your other question we cling to our holy Prayerbook for dear life! An anglican without his liturgy is no anglican at all.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

LOL. More worship family squabbles than wars. In the US you have high vs low, 28ers vs 79ers, ritualists vs ebangelicals, conservative vs progressive, and then whatever the heck a U2charist is.

6. Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe Member

U2charist! Is that a play off the band U2?

I love the video, by the way, @Classical Anglican. My heart soars with it. Why is it that so many people object to it? Is it pride?

Doesn't liturgical order, in principle, fall within the church's authority. I heard it said once "Where the scriptures are silent, I follow the church. Where the church is silent, I follow my reason." That always sticks with me. It seems to me like the scriptures are mostly silent on liturgy. Wouldn't that then mean that it falls under the flexible control of the church?