Soul Sleep

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Theology' started by Aidan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    The JW and also I believe Adventists, teach that the dead are asleep until God reawakens them by resurrection. What are your opinions of this doctrine?

2. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    If I remember correctly, Luther might have taught something similar.

I don't particularly concern myself with these questions, so I'm not sure I have a hard and fast position on it, but I wouldn't say I believe it. I'd readily accept it if it was proven to be better defended than other related teachings.

3. ACC congregant

ACC congregant Member

USA
  4. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    As an eastern leaning Anglican, I tend not to accept the idea of soul sleep, but rather the Particular Judgement teaching of of the EO Church. Although, like others, I don't tend to concern myself much with what might happen immediately after I die.

Anglicanism has traditionally taught that there is an intermediate state between death and final judgement . The parable of the rich man and Lazarus suggests to me that the soul doesn't sleep in this intermediate state. Also Jesus' words to the thief on the cross - today you will be with me in paradise.

N T Wright, the Anglican theologian, spoke about the intermediate state: "It will be conscious, but compared to being bodily alive, it will be like being asleep".

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1710844,00.html

These wiki entries are interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_state

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_mortalism

Tom likes this.
  5. Tuxedo America

Tuxedo America New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    If you're interested in the Catholic perspective, I'm happy to offer it.

The Catholic Church teaches that there are two judgements: the general judgement and a particular judgement. The particular judgement occurs when we die. It is during this judgement that we are either saved or damned, and our souls either go to heaven, hell, or purgatory. Our souls won't "sleep", but spend "time" wherever we were sent. During the general judgement, our souls are reunited with our bodies, and we go back to where we were.

6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Also on the last day all mysteries will be revealed