Religious Indifferentism or ambivalence

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Clayton, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I wonder if someone here can perhaps recommend a book or video or anything really on this topic.

There is much written of religious indifferentism, but I have never heard of anything like religious ambivalence; not the sort of carelessness associated with indifference, but rather the sense of being pulled actively in two contradictory directions.

I suspect that that kind of ambivalence is rather common in those raised in mixed religious households, where the children are exposed to different traditions and develop attachments to both. With mixed houses being more common I expected to find something helpful on the subject but I wonder if I am searching the wrong term.

There is an interesting study of ‘nones’ that identifies roughly half of them being ‘liminal’ or inconsistent across multiple surveys, sometimes claiming one religion and later on no religion, or vice-versa. Another variation of that could be to claim being orthodox in one survey and then Anglican in another.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023