Paul Jernberg - The Resurgence of Sacred Music (John Chrysostom)

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by The Repping Rev, Jan 6, 2024.

1. The Repping Rev

The Repping Rev New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (UECNA)
    The statistics seem to speak for themselves with the organic growth of the AOC (American Orthodox Church) last year. The believers in our day are truly looking for a tangible, participative, robust system and expression of faith. Gone are the days of a rock concert "Christianity" and incoming is the resurgence of Sacred Music through beautiful compositions by men like Paul Jernberg.

How do we strain, facilitate, and encourage this beautiful, often lost facet of the Christian experience?

What are your concerns, desires, and input, on such an endeavor?

Here are some videos to listen to. *Disclaimer* for those brethren sensitive to images, they are present at times, so put it on and listen, but don't watch if you are conscience bound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYqjvKA-uyM

S. DeVault and Br. Thomas like this.
  2. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Personally, I have to confess that I've been a snob, and have viewed almost any "new" worship music with suspicion and prejudice. Too many happy clappy songs at RCC Masses. But I know that I've created in myself an unjust prejudice, and it's foolish to think that "all new music bad. the Church stopped making music ~ 1950". But it's also a valid point that a *lot* of contemporary worship music lacks, not just musically, but theologically. People like me need to be open to hearing new compositions, and for the good of all God's Church, beautiful new compositions need to be promoted, ideally there would be official platforms, in various denominations, for these composers/artists to reach more of the faithful.

Elmo and The Repping Rev like this.
  3. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Concerts in cathedrals, committees for sacred music. If the idea of an Anglican University spoken of by Archdeacon Andrew Brashier moves forward, there should be programs for young Christian musicians. Of course, I’m just a failed Catholic theology student, so I don’t really know how these things work.