Ohio, Kentucky Catholics support women's ordination

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by anglican74, Jan 27, 2013.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    All may not be simple behind the current Pope's opposition to women's ordinations. This article has startled me and I wanted to share it with all of you:

15,000 supporters, wow!

Toma likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There's a Cardinal (out of only 120, so pretty high-up) called Schönborn who is pro-ordination for women. He leads a whole chorus from Vienna, along with allies in Ireland and America, shouting for this.

Romanism speaks of her infallible authority, but when enough laity begin to believe something and shout for it, nothing will stop the change from coming. May God preserve them from the blight that's come over others who accepted this. Let's see what this Magisterium can do.

3. MatthewOlson

MatthewOlson Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I am very sure that ordination for women will NEVER happen in the Roman Catholic Church. In most Catholic circles (and I'm talking about people that are not exactly the most intelligent or the most faithful to the Church's teachings), people in favor of ordination for women are typically thought of as radical, crazy, psychotic wackos, at least here in America. :)

If you want to watch something that will make you want to gag...
    "Ordain a Lady" song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Y0S2WlvNTU8

By the way, Roy Bourgeois is no longer a priest (thank God!). He was excommunicated and dismissed (again, thank God!).
    http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=16301

4. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Friends, I struggle with this issue on every level. I understand and acknowledge the long history of male-centric leadership in the church, but I also understand the culture and mindset of the middle East. I see the hypocrisy from Egypt to Israel, from Turkey to India, and even here in America. I watch the Apostolics and Pentecostals make their women wear long drab jean skirts, with long hair and no make up, while their men wear designer jeans and Nascar T-shirts. My wife worked for a Hindu Physician for several years, and I always saw his wife walking behind him a few paces wherever they went, but I later discovered that she had not one, but two PhD's and was a licensed Physician in India, but he would not allow her to practice in competition with him. I can see how a radical, feminist Priest sets a bad example for all, but the female Deacon that is my mentor here locally, is one of the most intelligent and kind persons I've ever met.

Jeff

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

When my daughter was sitting in a NICU in a coma and I was alone in a town I'd never been to and hours away from any family, I had two comforts. One was the catholic church across the street that had mass every morning @ 6am where I'd stop on my walk to the hospital to sit all day waiting for the 10 minute window when I could look at her. The other was a local priest that the secretary of my parish contacted to visit me. The priest was a woman. She brought me so much love, peace, and hope. She prayed over and blessed my child, she counseled me, she called up to the hospital everyday to inspire me, motivate me, comfort me. Whatever was allegedly lacking in her as a priest wasn't needed in my desperate time of need. I am thankful for all the graces God gave to me during that time, not the least of which was the good lady reverend.

Thomas Didymus, Gordon and Jeff F like this.
  6. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Lowly Layman,
    I remember as a young boy, sitting in the office of our Pastor for confirmation class, that he had a large sign hung over his desk. It read "The 7 words of the church.........We never did it that way before.":)

Jeff

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

That is a propbably a very true statement. But then, Roman Church put other barriers on the priesthood. Some of which most in this forum would probably think of as unbiblical and intolerable. Celibacy is one. Besides, as far as the Anglican Church is concerned, at least, I don't see why catholics would begrudge us women ministers, since the Bishop of Rome has already declared more than a century ago that no "priests", "deacons", or "bishops" are valid anyway. What would it matter? Sacraments done by an Anglican priest, whether male or female, would not be valid anyway, unless they are those which can be administered by the laity (which I think only includes baptism).

Do you think that the Roman Church would ever be willing to remove the barrier that celibacy poses from the Roman priesthood? I've met a number of good hearted Catholics who would take orders if it was possible to. I wonder what the Vatican's solution to the epidemic shortage of priests will be?

8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I would like to think so, but, under Pius X nobody could imagine that the church would so drastically alter her course with Vatican 2 later. And, Karl Rahner, the great liberal Jesuit who was accused of heresy under Pius X, end up being the biggest theologian behind Vatican 2.

As for local support/opposition to ordination among Roman catholics, it may be possible that you live in a traditional area where such views aren't tolerated, but I have read of many bishops and archbishops elsewhere that are in favor of it. 15,000 people in Kentucky/Ohio don't come out of nowhere...

9. MatthewOlson

MatthewOlson Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I'm not sure if that will happen or not. I see it moving that way (for example, with Anglicans that are already married and want to become Catholic priests), and most Catholics appear to be in favor of completely removing the barrier, but it would take another progressive Pope to cement the position, I'm sure.
    I think the reason the Roman Catholic Church is hesitant to completely remove the barrier is because of what St. Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 7 (and elsewhere, I believe, but I can not recall the chapters or verses) about how it is better to be single.

10. Pirate

Pirate Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Really surprised that the hardline Protestants here care what Rome does...yet they bring it up all the time

Jeff F and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    They are our great sparring partner for many ages precisely because they've always claimed that we are just schismatics from their holy perfect Magisterium, and that we're the rebels against the "unanimous consent of the Fathers". It tends to shape one's views. :)

Anyway, as for others in this thread, there's no need for sentimentalism. Women "priests" who comfort the sick and bring warmth and love are just holy Christians. Their supposed ordained-ministry contributed nothing to that. Conservatives do not believe that women have no capacity to be holy, or to act like priests - only that they are ontologically incapable of receiving Ordination, as God has set forth by Providence.

Scottish Knight likes this.
  12. Lowly Layman

Sentimental acts by holy Christians have made far more and far better Christians over the years than exacting, exclusivist, stale theologies and debates ever have. Belittling kindness shown by christians is very much the same as belittling the kindness shown by Christ to all he met whether prostitute, leper, Samaritan, pagan, or tax collector.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Jeff F and Gordon like this.
  13. MatthewOlson

MatthewOlson Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Catholic
    THANK YOU! :)

Toma likes this.
  14. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    They discuss us. Why shouldn't we discuss them?

15. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I went to one of my employees wedding a couple of years ago he is an RC and I met his Parish Priest who was an ex Anglican Priest he was married with 3 children.

I know of the scripture you are talking about, and I don't believe the Church made it compulsory until after the Council of Elvira in 306. Basically Paul simply said it is better to not marry like him but if you can't control your passions then marry.

16. Lowly Layman

It wasn't until the Gregorian Reforms ot the eleventh century that it was actually enforced on the West, and never in the East. Families were broken, children were made bastards, women made paupers. It was a shameful time and a shameful rule.

17. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    I'm honestly curious as to your opinion of the Queen appointing the Archbishop. With her making the personal selection, she has a part in every sermon and decree which comes from him.

Jeff

Lowly Layman likes this.
  18. Pirate

Pirate Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That's an interesting perspective, given that you were one of them not too long ago and are only recently Anglican.

As for female priests, I doubt that they'll go there. If they do, it's not our problem. But it is odd to think of a woman standing in the person of Christ. Again, not our problem...unless we are looking to join or reunite with them. It's safe to say that almost no one here has any interest whatsoever in either option.

19. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The appointment of Bishops by the Crown is a matter of good order. Constantine & eastern emperors did it, and before the Investiture Controversy of the 11th century in Rome, all Western kings did it. Divine authority is not given to such ministers by this system of appointments; it's merely a good way to keep matters in hand. Remember that the State/Government never actually chooses a random priest, but appoints based on a list of candidates approved by the Church. It is not arbitrary.

Anyway, powers of ordination come from the Consecration by bishops, not from the appointment by a Monarch. A good bishop can refuse to consecrate a royal appointee and not commit sin. I am personally against the state choosing any ministers, but we must be clear that it does not ordain them. The call is from God via the Church.

God drew me to the Scriptures and the Fathers. That's all. :)

It's a good thing to stand on our own as a Church, and not constantly reference what Rome is doing. I certainly must repent of my anger, and center on Truth.

Pax_Christi likes this.
  20. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Oh, so Methodists, Holiness, Pentecostals and others, including ACNA, are suffering from "blight" because they ordain women? Amazing.

Gordon and Lowly Layman like this.