Not said by Jesus!

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Aidan, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    This represents my body

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Love one another as I have loved you , provided of course they're good people

3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Come follow me , that is so long as it's not too inconvenient !

4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Thou art Peter, upon this rock I will build my church , obedience of course is purely optional !

5. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    By "Rock" I mean "Pope".

JoeLaughon likes this.
  6. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    Kinda silly but fun thread.

Jesus did not say, "I'm holding my body." (I do believe in the real presence but deny the elements change in substance)

Jesus is speaking to disciples in the above passage, it's not a universal command.

We are to treat everyone else lawfully, for example, “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and unjust.” Matthew 5

I know folks like to view Matthew 5 as some revolutionary love toward all but it's really a quote from the Old Mosaic Covenant specifically Leviticus 19:9-18.

On the other hand scripture teaches that God, "hatest all workers of iniquity" (Ps. 5:5)!

"God is angry with the wicked every day."

"He that believeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God"—not "shall abide," but even now—"abideth on him" (Psalm 5:5; 8:11; John 3:36).

Jesus also told his followers to "flee to the mountains" Zech. 14:5, Mark 13:14, Luke 21:21

Paul opposed Peter in Gal. 2:11-14 and James was in charge during the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15:13

Yours in the Lord,

jay