My confession

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gjoll, Sep 1, 2013.

1. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anglicanism sans Canterbury? A bit like the Old Catholic Church in the Netherlands, perhaps: Catholic without Rome.

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

And is there something wrong with that? The Old Catholic Church is in communion with the AC after all.

historyb likes this.
  3. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Something wrong with that? Well, that's a matter of opinion. To me, but not it seems to others, to call itself Anglican a church should be a be a member of the Anglican Communion.

Yes, of course the Old Catholic Church is in communion with the Anglican Churches. So, I think, is the Church of Sweden. But neither are members of the Anglican Communion. But I don't know if the Old Catholic Church is in communion with Rome. Is it?

4. Lowly Layman

Where in the Anglican formularies does it say that membership in the Anglican Communion is required to be Anglican? This is unfounded and arbitrarily exclusive. And, given all the talk of drawing wide circles and drawing even wider ones, comes off as hypocricy feom christian liberals.

historyb likes this.
  5. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian

Perhaps. Still there are those of us proud to be part of the world-wide Anglican Communion, which I believe is the third largest body of Christians in the world if I am not mistaken after the Catholics of Rome and the Eastern Orthodox.

seagull likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

nobody said one should not be proud to be in the AC, only that it is not the threshold of Anglicanism. It is but one organ of many promoting international institutional unity

historyb likes this.
  7. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    OK, so what then is "the threshold of Anglicanism"? And what are the "many" other "organs......promoting institutional unity"? And how do they promote it?