Monks / Nuns in Anglicanism

Discussion in 'Questions about Anglicanism' started by DouayJamesGeneva, May 24, 2018.

1. DouayJamesGeneva

DouayJamesGeneva Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Am I right that there are some monastic orders like this in Anglicanism? I know Lutherans have monks and nuns, and they are similar to Anglicanism.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes there are. In Australia we have Franciscsns, Benedictines and Holy Name Sisters, for starters.

3. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are monastics in US Anglicanism as well. More monks than nuns, but I am aware of both.

4. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Reformed High Anglican
    There are a few antecedents but mostly were the result of the Oxford movement. Wycliff founded an order of itinerant preachers and Nicholas Ferrar, a disciple of Archbishop Laud, founded a monastic-type community at Little Gidding. Nothing really came of these until the 1800s.

5. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I believe the ACNA maintains a monastic community on the east coast of VA, near where I go to school. I can't remember what it's called or where precisely it is, though. The Oxford Movement, for all of its (what I think of as) flaws, did bring back monasticism.

6. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I know the head of that community. He has secured a new location and is in the early phase of building in Newport News. His spot is called Livingstone Priory. He runs the largest religiously affiliated food pantry in that city: Five Loaves Food Pantry. He's got a radio show on a Christian station out of Norfolk too. He does a lot of good service in the community but he is no theologian.

Another monk affiliated with the same order is in my jurisdiction and has a new mission up in Mathews County: St. Thomas Anglican Mission. Their order is not strictly Anglican though, it bills itself as an ecumenical Franciscan order.

7. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    YES, that's the one! I'm never really in Newport News but I've heard of the priory.

8. Shane R

Shane R Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Livingstone Priory is an unfortunate story. His original monastery was leased and the landlord sold it out from under him rather abruptly. He's gone about four years without a physical location for the monastery, though an area (non-Anglican) church loaned him space to run the food pantry. But someone gifted him a ten acre plot to rebuild and then ACNA gave him a grant to begin construction. And he's had a number of other donors come forward so he's well on his way to having a new monastery. Unfortunately, about 3/4 of his tract of land is marsh that is not currently suitable for building on. I have not been over there in a while to see where the progress stands.