In defense of sacramentalism

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by DeusExMachina, Jun 15, 2016.

1. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    These days, it's fairly clear to anyone paying attention that the growing trends of secularism, relativism, and poorly-defined new age "spirituality" is causing the foundations of Christian worship to rot. Whether it is not attending church, or blantantly ignoring the teachings found in both the Bible and Church History, the disconnect from the church of the apostles is becoming more and more widespread.

In my view, nowhere is this scourge more rife than in attitudes towards the sacraments. Confession is nearly non-existent in Protestant churches; as some anecdotal evidence, in my parish, I have not once seen the confessional used by a prietst and penitent; I can only recall a few instances that even the "group confession" laid out in the rubrics of the BCP was included in the service. People are just as tepid in their approach to baptism; they clearly no longer believe Jesus' words that it is needed for salvation (John 3:5). Looking at baptismal statistics for almost every sect excluding Pentecostals confirms this.

But perhaps the sacrament most neglected in this way is the Eucharist. Again, atheistic, materialist culture has definitely left it's mark here. However I think that the churches themselves are also partly to blame. How often does a typical evangelical congregation observe Holy Communion, which many view as a relic of "popish corruption" of the church; I will bet rarely, if ever. But it is more than just evangelicals falling for this fallacy. Many Presbyterian churches only a few times a year to shift the focus of worship to preaching, meanwhile denigrating those who want to emphasize the sacraments as "superstitious"; even some Anglicans are guilty of these practices.Now I am not saying that reading the bible and listening to scriptural sermons are not spiritually wholesome endevaors; on the contrary, I believe them to be indispensable parts of a Christian life; nevertheless, we must remember that, whereas the sacraments are commandments straight from the Lord (Luke 22:19-20, Matthew 28:19 ) , scriptural reading in worship is not. Thus it is utterly beyond me why ANY Christian would disregard the sacraments, particularly the Eucharist, in favor of what is really a human innovation, albeit one that does enormous good for the soul. Now I am not saying that reading the bible and listening to scriptural sermons are not spiritually wholesome endevaors; on the contrary, I believe them to be indispensable parts of a Christian life; nevertheless, we must remember that, whereas the sacraments are commandments straight from the Lord , scriptural reading in worship is not. Thus it is utterly beyond me why ANY Christian would disregard the sacraments, particularly the Eucharist, in favor of what is really a human innovation, albeit one that does enormous good for the soul.
    I think that all Christians need to remember the above facts, and realize once more that the sacraments ordained by Christ are in themselves channels of grace (John 3:9, John 6:51, James 5:17) and are to Christians what sacrifices were in the Old Covenant: a way for us to become closer with God .As they such are deserving of a central place in every Christian's life. The more this happens, the safer our souls will be.

Please let me know your thoughts on these ramblings of mine in the comments below. [​IMG]

2. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello DeusExMachina.
    Oh I would agree. I lament the situation in protestant and evangelical churches...namely your point that the Eucharist is so rare in those churches.
    When I was a Presbyterian, the Eucharist (though they never called it that) was observed a mere 4 times per year. That is a shame indeed!
    Even a casual look at early Christianity and the Fathers reveals that it is the central focus of worship.
    It is The Holy Sacrament of Christ's Body and Blood and to be celebrated weekly. I thank God for the faithful Anglican churches that observe it every Sunday.

The Sacraments have been devalued over the years. Baptism, to many evangelical protestants is simply an "ordinance" to be done after one comes to faith. And likewise The Lord's Supper is a simple memorial of Christ's sacrifice...rather than a partaking of our Savior's most holy Body and Blood.

Blessings to you!

3. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Great discussion, DeusX and CWJ. It's funny, in the Anglican church I grew up in, we had The Lord's Supper about six times a year. It was rare, and I couldn't wait till I was confirmed so that I could partake in it. Now, the church that I attend observes the Eucharist every Sunday. At first this made me really uncomfortable, because I felt it was reserved for high, holy occasions. I would, and still do, come to the communion rail trembling a bit, and biting tears back, because it seems so very holy to me.

I'm becoming more used to celebrating the Eucharist every Sunday, and look forward to it, as a way to recharge my spirit and confirm my choice to live a Christian life, and be part of the Christian family, and continuity of believers. I now see it as the high point of the week. Still, I miss the morning prayer service of my former church, as it was very beautiful, and would like to find a church that offers this as well.

I agree with you, Deus, and CWL, that the Eucharist is indispensable, and central. I feel that we are being directly faithful to Christ when we pray as he taught us, and share his body and blood, as he told us to do, in remembrance of him.

4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    1 Corinthians 11:23-26
    For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, ‘This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.​

In the Eucharist we find the mark of obedience to Christ's command, we find the model of our Christian Life, (taken, offered, broken, shared). We recall the body of Christ, incarnate, teaching, healing, crucified and rising, we celebrate his real and absolute presence in the feast, and we declare the great miracle that flawed human beings like you and especially I are 'the body of Christ' and commit ourselves afresh to go out and live that life.

Part of our challenge is not so much to get people to go to Church, but rather to recognise the Christ we see in the most holy sacrament of the altar, in the face of the people we meet day by day. Mother Theresa of Calcutta I believe said something like 'If we do not see Christ in the Sacrament of the Altar the we will never recognise him in the wounds of the poor'.

Jesus said, 'I, when I am lifted up, will draw all people to myself'

Good blog, DeusexMachina.

Christ has died. Christ is Risen. Christ will come again.

5. zimkhitha

zimkhitha Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    [QUOTE="Now I am not saying that reading the bible and listening to scriptural sermons are not spiritually wholesome endevaors; on the contrary, I believe them to be indispensable parts of a Christian life; nevertheless, we must remember that, whereas the sacraments are commandments straight from the Lord (Luke 22:19-20, Matthew 28:19 ) , scriptural reading in worship is not. Thus it is utterly beyond me why ANY Christian would disregard the sacraments, particularly the Eucharist, in favor of what is really a human innovation, albeit one that does enormous good for the soul. Now I am not saying that reading the bible and listening to scriptural sermons are not spiritually wholesome endevaors; on the contrary, I believe them to be indispensable parts of a Christian life; nevertheless, we must remember that, whereas the sacraments are commandments straight from the Lord , scriptural reading in worship is not[/QUOTE]

Your post is encouraging and a wake up call for me to never approach the TABLE in a casual manner. At some point in my life, I had elevated "word" over sacrament. It is an easy trap to fall into.

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    A Baptist friend told me one "if ya'll truly believe that was Christ, you would not act so cavalier. You would fall on your face in the presence of Christ.
    So since you treat it so casually, don't be surprised at my rejection."

By good friend gave me a wake up call.

That was several years ago. I have changed how I approach Eucharist. My friend is no longer a Baptist but in a Presbyterian Church in which the
    clergy vest no in Geneva robes but alb and stole and believe in the Real Presence.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

roadrunner80 and Madeline like this.