Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 7sacraments, Jun 14, 2014.

1. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Not too much to say at this point in time. I'm a Canadian that is a liberal minded Anglo-Catholic (see Affirming Catholicism) that feel in love with the via media after being baptized in the Presbyterian communion. I've served in various parish and diocesan ministries and am still contemplating a future path into Holy Orders.

Look forward with communing with you all

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard 7! May God richly bless your time here.

What took you from presbyterianism to ACism?

3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Welcome 7sacraments!

4. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Thanks for the welcome.

Layman, to answer that question for you: I was not baptized at birth as is normal procedure usually. but my family waited till I was able to be able to discern a few key facets of the Christian faith prior to pushing me towards the sacrament.

I would've been baptized in the Anglican tradition if not for the fact our parish rector at the time was a strange man that seemed to take issue with baptizing children (I was only one of a number of children refused the sacrament for no real reason.) Thus my family, who were strong Anglicans,if Low Church seeking out other churches for me to receive baptism and Sunday School education. They settled on the Unitied church of Canada (if you're curious look that up on wikipedia). However, I never did enjoy the style of worship in the UCC. The sermons were fairly over my head at the time (though I do enjoy Presbyterian sermons now) and the usual fair was flat and boring with none of the life and reverence I needed in worship.

After a while, my search for reverence led me to identify for a while with the Roman church and to a lesser extent the Orthodox church. Whille I felt the right kind of reverence I knew something else was lacking. Mainly the driving factor found in the sermons and right kind of evangelical traditons I had in the UCC. I also, and I know this will upset people(specially those that have succeeded from the ACC and TEC, but I found the policies of the See of Rome to be more hetrodox to my sense of the Divine then what official TEC policy is now. (though I'm not a fan of Spong)

So it was I had dropped out of active church going for a while. I did go on and off to other churches, The Salvation Army to "non-demoninationals" though around here,those are akin to televangelists and I cannot abide them....apart from Billy Graham to an extent. But notheing hit home, till one week my late grandmother mentioned the "high Church" priest the local parish had and quite enjoying him,even if she didn't like the High Church ways. This intrigued me and so I asked her if I could attend a sunday morning service with her and my grandfather and that Sunday we went. And I finally found home. The reverence was there, the "protestant" zeal was there and I absolutely fell in love with the BCP (for you Yanks...think Rite I in the American book).

Since then I was an active member of my local parish, serving on vestry and on the diocesan council for Faith and Foundation. I've seriously looked into heading to seminary to pursue a calling to holy Orders and I'm still assertaining if I'm truly called. I feel strongly about my church. And more strongly about the High Church principles we as Anglicans have.

Lowly Layman and Peteprint like this.
  5. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Hello 7sacraments,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Lowly Layman likes this.