Following Pope Francis, Catholics and Protestants in the U.S. mark the Reformation [Ame

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Jun 11, 2017.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Following Pope Francis, Catholics and Protestants in the U.S. mark the Reformation

Michael J. O'Loughlin June 09, 2017

oloughlin_lutheran service.JPG.jpg
    The Rev. Kazimierz Bem greets worshippers leaving First Church in Marlborough, Mass., following an ecumenical prayer service on June 3 (Photo: First Church/Barbara Parente).

For three Christian communities in Marlborough, Mass., a day of ecumenical worship and community service has been 500 years in the making.

Last week, the congregations of three churches—two Protestant and one Catholic—marked the quincentenary of the Protestant Reformation, which is traced back to when Martin Luther published a list of 95 grievances against the Catholic Church.

Following Luther’s declaration, centuries of war ensued between Catholics and Protestants, but representatives from various Christian traditions are using the anniversary to focus on commonalities rather than division. Events have already taken place at the highest levels of Christendom, such as when Pope Francis traveled to Sweden last year to participate in a prayer service commemorating the start of the year-long anniversary, as well as in less visible locales, including the commemoration in Massachusetts.

Click here for the rest of the article:
    https://www.americamagazine.org/fai...catholics-and-protestants-us-mark-reformation

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I have to say that I find it totally ludicrous that Francis should wish to commemorate the reformation. Francis, if you hover between two stools, you will surely fall

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Has anyone noticed that it is never conservative jurisdictions taking part in these ecumenical celebrations?

Aidan likes this.
  4. ACC congregant

ACC congregant Member

USA
    Yeah, I am more disappointed in this pope on a daily basis.

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Is it only me, or does anyone else find the stoles in the picture garish and bizarre?

Shane R likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I agree. Kind of goofy looking.