Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury calls Trump a Good Samaritan [DailyMail]

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by World Press, Apr 1, 2017.

1. World Press

World Press Active Member

Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury calls Trump a Good Samaritan

Why Trump is the Good Samaritan, by Lord Carey: Former Archbishop of Canterbury says the President has offered the country 'a voice'

By Tammy Hughes For The Daily Mail18:17 EDT 30 Mar 2017, updated 03:51 EDT 31 Mar 2017

IMG_0832.JPG

The former Archbishop of Canterbury has described Donald Trump as a ‘Good Samaritan’ for the American people.

Lord Carey said the US President had offered the country ‘a voice’ and said he had ‘deep sympathies’ with the forces that propelled him to victory last year.

His comments put him at odds with the current Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, who said Mr Trump was part of a ‘fascist tradition of politics’.

At the Oxford Literary Festival Lord Carey said: ‘Many will recoil at the identification of Donald Trump as the Good Samaritan but why not?

'Is it not true that we have wounded and left-behind communities passed by by the elite who are too distracted and busy with their own agendas, too busy to look over to see someone in distress?

‘And intervention that makes a difference is from a totally unexpected source, the Samaritan, the Outsider.’

Click here for the rest of the article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...op-Canterbury-calls-Trump-Good-Samaritan.html

Aidan, Andy and Lowly Layman like this.
  2. Anglo1

Anglo1 Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian but still seek
    I agree. The pro-life movement, so far, is definitely reaping benefits of a Trump presidency unlike Mister Obama who told Planned Parenthood, "God bless you."

alphaomega and Aidan like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Amen! A nice counter-balance to Welby's uninformed and unnecessary slander.

alphaomega, Aidan and Andy like this.
  4. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I'm definitely not sure I should stir the pot at all here, but I'm definitely not for Trump. I sympathize with what Lord Carey is saying, but I think Trump is yet to truly create a society for the "wounded and left-behind communities passed by by the elite" and has only solidified the elite establishment. The vision of a person Carey is praising certainly deserves it, but I'm not sure the reality of Trump fits that vision. I pray that Trump will eventually come to fit this vision, or at the very least someone after him will, for the sake of America and the world at large.

Madeline likes this.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Trump wears his heart on his sleeve and says what he thinks, occasionally detrimentally, refreshing in today's world of double-speak

anglican74 and alphaomega like this.