Episcopal News website calls the Trinity a 'heresy'

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Stalwart, May 31, 2018.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    https://www.episcopalcafe.com/the-trinity-is-the-heresy/

They're calling it a heresy because it is 'patriarchal'.

Opposing patriarchy is now super-dogma, infallibly decreed. It seems to be in the line with the other super-dogmas: anti-colonialism, pro-sodomy, moral relativism, and situation ethics.

I posted this in the Non-Anglican Discussion because that Episcopal Cafe website is not run by people who can be considered to be Anglicans, or even Christians.

Heresy has become the fashion. Secular errors have become the new super-dogmas, the new dogmatic magisterium.

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    Sad. Very, very sad.

3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian, APA
    From the posting:

"Here are some alternative Trinitarian formulations:

Oh, God… Beginning, Middle, and End.
    Oh, God… Giver of life, Trouble, and Death.
    Oh, God… Creator, Destroyer, Desolation.
    Oh, God… Lover, Fighter, Weirdo.
    Oh, God… The question, The Answer, The Wonder.

It’s all really just a reflection of us."

So wrong on so many different levels. "Anglicans" such as this are really Unitarian Universalists.

Will_ and Lowly Layman like this.
  4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    American Anglican
    Sadly it represents the attitudes and opinions of SOME Episcopalians. But I assure you, it does not speak for ALL Episcopalians. One of which is quite miffed about the whole thing. God has revealed himself as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. We are not at liberty to change or, more to the point, mock it and still be legitimately called a Christian. That quote is right about one thing, such irreverence about a key dogma of the Christian faith is indeed a reflection of both the writer and the website, a poor one. I pray they take time to consider what they see in the mirror. I find the article offensive.

Will_ likes this.
  5. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    Now now, I read the same article and that's not what the author was saying. What they were saying is that the Trinity is a truth that is treated by modern Christians in the same way as heretics in the past used various truths against others. It's nothing more controversial than Rowan William's definition of heresy applied to the general thrust of modern theology, and I think it is an apt, though intentionally controversialized, observation to make. I put forward the exact same idea, though in a more subtle way, in my own post for Trinity Sunday. The article has much less to do with patriarchy or whatever than this, and to reduce it to that is just to ignore the point of it.

Botolph likes this.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    I smell the infection of modernism

7. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have no idea what you've just said here. Using a lot of generalized abstracted language here, my friend, whereas the original article was quite precise and clear in its heresy.

If you are actually attempting to defend it, then please state more plainly how the article did not accuse the Trinity (or Christianity) of patriarchy, how the article did not attempt to re-define the Trinity, and what Rowan Williams has to do with anything here.

8. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I don't really care enough to defend it, but my point still stands. I think many just saw some mention of patriarchy and assumed more about the article than is present in it. The quote I think that expresses the central point best is this:

This sentiment is derived from Rowan Williams' idea of heresy as "truth set against other truth" or the overvaluation of a particular truth at the expense of others. I think this is a pertinent point to make, even if I don't agree with all the article says deriving from it. I expressed my own thoughts using the same basic premise here.