All Saints/ All Hallows eve

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by anglican74, Oct 29, 2014.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    With All Saints Day coming up does anyone know if it is a fast day? Are we supposed to fast before going for Holy Communion on the eve of the 31st?

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

i thought it was the feast of all saints.

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Thanks.. I heard people talk about a fast before the feast.. may be I am confusing something.

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

"A TABLE OF FEASTS,

TO BE OBSERVED IN THIS CHURCH THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.

All Sundays in the Year. The Circumcision of our Lord JESUS CHRIST. The Epiphany. The Conversion of St. Paul. The Purification of the Blessed Virgin. St. Matthias the Apostle. The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin. St. Mark the Evangelist. St. Philip and St. James the Apostles. The Ascension of our Lord JESUS CHRIST. St. Barnabas the Apostle. The Nativity of St. John Baptist. St. Peter the Apostle. St. James the Apostle.

The Transfiguration of our Lord JESUS CHRIST. St. Bartholomew the Apostle. St. Matthew the Apostle. St. Michael and all Angels. St. Luke the Evangelist. St. Simon & St. Jude the Apostles. All Saints. St. Andrew the Apostle. St. Thomas the Apostle. The Nativity of our Lord JESUS CHRIST. St. Stephen the Martyr. St. John the Evangelist. The Holy Innocents. Monday and Tuesday In Easter week. Monday and Tuesday in Whitsun week.

A TABLE OF FASTS.

Ash-Wednesday. Good Friday.

OTHER DAYS OF FASTING,

ON WHICH THE CHURCH REQUIRES SUCH A MEASURE OF ABSTINENCE AS IS MORE ESPECIALLY SUITED TO EXTRAORDINARY ACTS AND EXERCISES OF DEVOTION. I. The Forty Days of Lent. II. The Ember-days at the Four Seasons, being the Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday after

The First Sunday in Lent, The Feast of Pentecost, September 14, and December 18. III. The three Rogation-days, being the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before Holy Thursday, or the Ascension of our Lord. IV. All the Fridays in the Year, except Christmas-day.

In addition to the above,the first Thursday in November (or, if any other day be appointed by the Civil Authorlty, then such day) shall be observed as a Day of Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the Fruits of the Earth, and all other Blessings of his merciful Providence." -- 1892 US BCP

Halloween falls on a Friday, so it is a fast day in that since.

5. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Maybe you confuse it with Easter - where thers is fasting before the Feast.

anglican74 likes this.