ACNA meets with anti-women-priest Lutherans

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by anglican74, Feb 4, 2022.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Wow, did anyone know of a church ever rescinding the practice of women priests, once they had adopted it?... I'd never heard such a thing, it always goes one way, irrevocable... and yet these Lutherans have done it, and now the ACNA is meeting with them

https://anglican.ink/2022/01/29/acna-and-elcl-leaders-meet-in-dallas/

"On 29 January 2022 the Most Rev. Foley Beach welcomed the Most Rev.Jānis Vanags, Archbishop of Riga and Primate of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia. Details of the meeting have yet to be released, however,the ELCL is viewed as the most traditional minded of the Baltic Lutheran churches."

"In 1975 the church voted to permit women ministers, but at its 3 June 2015 meeting, Archbishop Vanags asked the church’s general synod, the Latvijas Evaņģēliski luteriskās baznīcas, to reconsider the question of women priests. While he did not speak during the debate, Archbishop Vanags, who was elected in 1993, has long argued there was no warrant in Scripture for women priests and that it was foreign to the church’s traditions. Synod amended the ordination canons from: “anyone who according to the regulations set by the [church] is called by God and trained for ministry can seek ordination” to “any male candidate who according to the regulations set by the [church] is called by God and trained for the ministry can seek ordination.”"

ACNA-meeting-with-ELCL-in-Dallas-2022.01.29-1536x1152.jpg

Othniel, Elmo and Carolinian like this.
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    They also have apostolic succession through the Swedish Bishops

Invictus likes this.
  3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I was wondering about that part.

4. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Right!.. the scandinavian lutheran tradition is basically like us Anglicans in most ways...

5. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Some amazing twitter responses.....

IMG_4317F78A2F4C-1.jpg

IMG_0C696EE08ABE-1.jpg

6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I can tell you what they did with the female clergy. They left them in their postings. There will be no more but they are letting the existing group age out.

This is one of the things where the Continuing churches have certain expectations that ACNA probably won't meet. The Continuing churches mostly expect them all to be defrocked or laicized.

7. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    In a best case scenario we make them deaconesses

Matthew J Taylor likes this.
  8. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    What are your sources on this? I think it is incorrect

from what I have read various news websites, while they did not defrock them they moved them out of parish ministry… Thus in the active and visible positions in the Church the change was rather stark, and the lady ministers aged out in various other posts like perhaps hospice ministry and places like that

9. Matthew J Taylor

Matthew J Taylor Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Free Church of England
    This is the main suggestion of "No Other Foundation" a collection of anti-WO essays popular in the ACNA and distributed to ACNA seminarians (I presume only the males) by the Seabury Society.

Shane R likes this.
  10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    5 year old pressers and some second hand news from some Slovak Lutherans.

I am willing to yield the point. Your information may be better. Whatever the case, they didn't defrock them.

anglican74 likes this.