Which Bible Translation Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by coton boy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Traveler

Traveler Member

USA
    Religion:
    RC, moving to Anglican
    I have the NRSV, REV, and GNT, all with the Apocrypha. From what I've read about them, the NRSV is the most scholarly. The REV seems like a reliable translation too. Although the GNT is quite dynamic, I like that translation as well (except that it calls the Ark of the Covenant the "covenant box").

Invictus likes this.
  2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Because it is not only the preferred translation in academia but also the one used liturgically in my own jurisdiction (The Episcopal Church), I use the NRSV as my overall “go-to” translation. That being said, there are some passages that I think the RSV translated better (e.g., the RSV’s “one day” is preferable to the NRSV’s “the first day” in Genesis 1, as it more accurately reflects the Hebrew). One potential drawback is that the NRSV relies on an eclectic method for determining the most likely reading of the Tanakh/OT text, so if I want to do more textually “pure” study, I’ll make use of the NJPS for the Masoretic Text, or the NETS for the Septuagint (both of which are excellent). Likewise if I want the Majority Text reading from the NT, I’ll reference the venerable NKJV. I think it’s important to rely on a variety of translations for study, as well as ancient, medieval, and modern commentators (e.g., Philo, Rashi, or Luther, etc., for the OT; Origen, Basil, or Augustine, etc., for the NT; and responsible commentaries like Hermeneia, Expositors, NIGTC, or The Interpreter’s Bible for more modern analysis and exposition; the Cambridge Bible for Colleges and Schools is dated but extremely well written and an excellent resource as well, with that one caveat).

3. PNCC Old Catholic

PNCC Old Catholic Member

USA
    Religion:
    Old Catholic - PNCC
    I use a combination of the RSV-CE and KJV; I will occasionally use the ESV. For public reading, though, the KJV cannot be matched.

Br. Thomas and Invictus like this.