What's happening with the Methodists

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by anglican74, Mar 2, 2021.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    So, when I was last tuned in to the methodists happenings in 2019, you had the cancer of the liberal/progressive white methodists trying to erode the gospel, but resisted by the orthodox global and African methodists (very similar to how our Episcopal Church was lost)

the African churches had a direct say in the decisions of the body, and in 2019 the LGBTQIA+ party was dramatically crushed, and outvoted by vastly larger African delegates:

https://religionnews.com/2019/03/07...d-at-the-united-methodist-general-conference/

As I recall, the liberals were preparing to split off into their own little heretical church, which would leave the UMC completely in the hands of traditionalists, with their churches, the brand, the name, just the best case scenario...

And yet here is the headline that greets me today-

"Conservative United Methodists announce new name, logo, website, for planned denomination"
    https://religionnews.com/2021/03/01...w-name-logo-website-for-planned-denomination/

They are the ones to leave the UMC, adopting a new name, brand, while leaving the UMC in the hands of the liberals?? Can anyone who knows methodist workings please enlighten me on what's going on over there....

2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    It sounds crazy but that was what was agreed to. The traditionalist, who have won every vote, are the ones leaving the denomination and setting up their own. They get to keep churches and property, and they get 25 million dollars. Don't worry the progressives will disappear soon enough as they are basically sterile and liberal Christianity is dying fast.

3. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    oh I'm not worried about liberal christianity, it is finished as a movement... It is just very odd that the traditionalists had won, and yet are the ones who have to leave! at least they get to keep their properties and avoid the cataclysm among the Anglicans in the US

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's usually better to rid oneself of the old baggage and rebrand. I'm glad they got some resources to help them do it, rather than being kicked out to meet in the conference rooms of local libraries and budget motels. It will make the project easier.

5. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I guess it's the traditionalist in me... any new church body by definition to me smells of novelty, of modernism, of departure from the One Church of the first millenium

Yes the Methodists are already schismatic from the Anglican Communion (which is one of the authentic streams of the original True Church), but at least the UMC has earned a legacy and some credibility and stability in the last 100 years... if they fought to keep the stable authenticity of the UMC brand (and let the heretics start 'fresh' things), then if they worked further, to erase the schism by re-joining the Anglican Communion, that to me is anti-schismatic, patristic, and authentically christian behavior

But starting 'fresh' feels odd to me, especially for traditionalists; The whole idea that the church needs to be 'fresh' is not something I can understand... the church is the oldest thing in the world

6. Thomas Didymus

Thomas Didymus Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am confused too. Here's what I found; an excerpt below the link provided:
    https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/global-methodism-new-church/

Who’s Leaving, Exactly?

Why are conservatives leaving when they won at the General Conference?

Liberals, although outnumbered globally, dominate the U.S. church and its bureaucracy. Few American conservatives want to inherit liberal church agencies, seminaries, and local conference structures, whose financial viability is already dubious.

Perhaps those starting anew feel they are keeping true to the original Wesleyan identity through concept, taking a pragmatic approach.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  7. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Either way even conservative Methodism is a sinking ship. Maybe they can turn it around.

8. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I get contacted somewhat regularly by people who have become disenchanted with the Methodist church. It seems like they have mostly dispensed with a liturgical service format and have gone contemporary. Many old timers are not pleased and are suddenly interested in their Anglican roots.

9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    From my experience in the Methodist Church that is true. Really most people have no clue on what is different about them, Baptists, and non denom churches except that Methodists for the most part are ok with having a social drink.

Shane R likes this.
  10. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    The conference to split the UMC has been delayed 'til 2022 on account of the Wuhan Flu. The 'Global Methodist Church' is essentially a bomb threat - there is going to be a one day virtual conference of some kind this year, and the GMC is basically saying they will create that new denomination immediately if support for a traditionalist split has fallen off at the time of the virtual conference, rather than in '22 when the actual conference comes to a decision.