What is the Anglican attitude towards the Easter Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Silvan, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    What is the Anglican attitude towards the Easter Rabbit?

You may think this a funny question. But I am asking it in earnest.

For evangelical fundamentalists the Easter Hare is a pagan invention - which may well be so, but I do not mind - and it endangers your salvation - which I do not think.

What do you think?

2. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I doubt most Anglicans can even tell you why rabbits are associated with Eastertide. It's a concept that comes into Christianity from the German Lutheran church, and probably stems ultimately from the hare as a symbol of fecundity in Medieval Christian iconography. There was also a Northern European belief in medieval times that hares could reproduce virginally, due to their mistaken belief of hares being hermaphroditic in nature, and thus inevitably drew comparisons to Christ's virgin birth. Immigrants brought the old stories to America, and it thus became a seasonal folk tale, much like that of Santa Claus.

You assert that the Easter Hare is a "pagan invention", but I see no evidence for that. Can you cite some sources for that assertion?

3. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    In case some do not know what the Easter Rabbit is:

More about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

4. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Evangelical fundamentalists say so.
    But I will try to find a source.

5. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

Here is a source:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ly a pagan,the ancient symbolism still works.

6. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    If you ask, 'What is the Anglican attitude towards ...', you will receive many answers because there are a great many attitudes within Anglicanism.

In my parish church we have no problems with the Easter Bunny, Father Christmas, Hallowe'en, etc. An acquaintance of mine went to a parish church where their priest banned anything that was joyful. While I do not believe we can have a free for all and do whatever we please, being a Christian shouldn't make your dour.

7. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I know.
    Then I ask: What are usual and frequent or maybe typical Anglican attitudes (plural!) towords the Easter Rabbit? :)

8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't really plan on teaching my 2 toddlers anything about the Easter rabbit, or easter eggs. Easter is the holy resurrection of our Lord, which is hard enough to focus on when you have a million distractions. Around Lent and Easter we go into double-focus on scripture and on the Lord. I am thinking of getting a set to match the Christmas nativity scene, something that my kids can visualize the cross, the tomb, and the resurrected Lord. At least in my family, adding non-Christian elements to easter would dilute the message, and confuse them.

9. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I find it a bit strange that German Lutherans should have invented the Easter Rabbit.
    But then again it was Dr. Martin Luther himself who invented the "Christ Child" or Christkindl as gift bringer for Christmas.

Trouble was: The Catholics in South Germany and Austria adopted the Lutheran Christkindl with such an enthusiasm, that the Lutherans in North Germany forgot about it and created a Santa Claus or Father Christmas (Weihnachtsmann) instead.

Now the former Protestant Christchild counts as typically Catholic! :)

10. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Not being a fundamentalist, I not only have no problem with fun secular holiday traditions like the Easter Bunny, I actually see them as having a positive value for religious practice, especially for children.

Silvan likes this.
  11. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Now you are talking! :)
    Yes, I know that attidude: "This Easter Rabbit is a very baaaaaaaaaaaaaad thing, because it draws attention away from Jesus Christ!"

That is the attitude of strictly fundamental Evangelicals.
    And for them the Easter Rabbit is not only pagan, but even satanic! :)

12. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I agree a 100 percent! :)

13. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

Here you can see and hear the Christkind of Nuremberg :)

14. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

And here you see the pagan and satanic Easter Rabbit! :)

15. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    For some over-pious people, the very name "Easter" is already pagan and satanic:

https://www.aop.com/blog/the-truth-about-easter-traditions

16. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I imagine, without having commissioned an opinion poll, that most Anglicans have no issue with it, and if they thought it was pagan they still wouldn't. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with appropriating a pagan habit or tradition if it's made secular. The problem would be with idolising or worshiping the Easter bunny. At which point it wouldn't really matter if it was a pagan invention or a christian invention.

If someone thinks the Easter bunny is pagan they're likely getting the holiday of Easter confused with a semi-modern symbol of it. Like saying Santa Claus has something to do with the Roman God Saturn, because some people think Christmas has pagan origins (also bunkum). If they're right it still doesn't matter. I think easter chocolate tastes better in the shape of a bunny instead of an egg, so I'll keep buying the bunny anyway.

PDL, Silvan and Invictus like this.
  17. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    That's sensible! :)