What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Old Christendom, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Melkite

Melkite Member

United States
    Religion:
    Melkite Catholic
    The Papacy by Erick Ybarra.

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Five English Reformers, by J. C. Ryle. This book highlights the martyring of John Hooper,Rowland Taylor, Hugh Latimer, John Bradford, and Nicholas Ridley, all of whom were burned at the stake at the instigation of papists during the reign of Bloody Queen Mary.

Here's an interesting quote: "The principal reason why they were burned was because they refused one of the peculiar doctrines of the Romish Church. On that doctrine, in almost every case, hinged their life or death...the doctrine in question was the real presence of the body and blood of Christ in the consecrated elements of bread and wine in the Lord's Supper." By the term, "real presence," Ryle mainly means corporal presence, but he does quote Cranmer as having written, "They (the Papists) say that Christ is corporally under or in the forms of bread and wine. We say that Christ is not there, neither corporally nor spiritually; but in them that worthily eat and drink the bread and wine He is spiritually, and corporally (He is) in heaven."

At least 288 English Christians were murdered in this horrific manner in the years 1555 through 1558. It struck me, while reading this, to wonder what sort of "church" would stoop to killing people merely because they differed in their religious beliefs. Certainly such an action seems fully contrary to Christ's words, "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

Br. Thomas likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As a cautionary note, Both Elizabeth 1 and their dad Henry VIII persecuted many Catholics, though they were executed for treason. That makes little difference to the outcome, certainly for the person being executed.

Henry VIII's execution of Margaret Pole was without trial or any meaningful justification or explanation.

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I think this historical reality merely illustrates the principle though, that judicial execution as the sentence for merely holding beliefs contrary to the ruling authority is in principle an act of murder and therefore unchristlike and a corporately mortal sin. Currently both Hamas and the leaders of the Military of Israel seem to be culpable of this sin. Just as Authority back in earth's history has been universally, similarly inclined, culminating in the execution of God himself in Christ, (while effecting reconciliation of the world to himself), merely for holding and speaking views and ideas contrary to the human Religious and Political authories of his time.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am reading from Shame to Sin about the Christian transformation of Christian sexual morals in antiquity

Gian Inchauspe likes this.
  6. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver

7. Gian Inchauspe

Gian Inchauspe New Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I am always reading different books at the same time. Right now I am reading in Spanish the History of Spain by Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte. He is a great writer and his history of Spain is told in a very funny way. In English I am reading A history of human sexuality from Ancient Greece to the Modern Age by Charlie McCann.

8. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've been reading some non-fiction but not theology. I'm halfway through a rather interesting volume entitled: The Great Adventure: How the Mounties Conquered the West. The first two divisions of Canadian Mounties lacked for training, equipment, decent food, and occasionally competence but they were well intentioned.

9. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Imagine the God of Heaven, by John Burke. The author relates a number of near-death experiences as a springboard to teach about our faith and how to please God. Recommended.

One of the interesting things he notes is that even people who knew nothing about Christianity came away from their NDE with a perception of the Trinitarian God.

10. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    To Be A Christian- ACNA
    The Complete Duty of Man- Rev. Henry Venn

11. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I would like to recommend the handbook by Archbishop Haverland, Anglican Catholic Church. It is, "Anglican Catholic Faith and Practice".

S. DeVault likes this.
  12. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Martin Luther's Basic Theological Writings, 3rd Edition.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  13. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm blessed to have a copy, and read through it I think twice, but after I get some books finished on my list, I may give it another read. It was very helpful as I stepped away from the RCC and back to Anglicanism

Br. Thomas likes this.
  14. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I am fortunate to be able to sit and speak with Arhcbishop Haverland frequently. We are a mission-parish here and he stops in frequently and says the Mass.

15. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I am re-reading HP Lovecraft's works. I started back at Halloween on a lark and I've been sucked in lol

Spiritus likes this.
  16. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    Alternating between Bullinger's Decades and Ursinus' Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism.

17. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Question 7 by Richard Flanagan

ISBN 978 1 76134 345 2
    Penguin

18. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza

19. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Just returned from Holiday.

I read
    • Sapiens - a brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. ISBN 9780099590088 - Penguin Random House
    • The Hundred Years War on Palestine - a history of settler colonial conquest and resistance by Rashid Khalidi. ISBN 9781782833963 - Profile Books.
    Both are fairly heavy, well-written and a good reading.

20. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Pagans and Christians by Robin Lane Fox.