What are the most effective steps/actions in working to preserve orthodoxy in Anglicanism?

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Anna Scott, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

The stated Aim of Anglican Forums is, We aim to bring orthodox Anglicans together into a place where they can have common conversation and discussion.

As part of this conversation; what do you see as the most effective steps/actions we can take in working to preserve orthodoxy in Anglicanism?

What should we be doing?

What are your Priests and Bishops doing?

Peace,
    Anna

2. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    The majority of our vestry doesn't like change and they don't like the changes being made by the national church. Our Priest is very orthodox and traditional as far as i've been able to tell and from the discussions we have had.

Our Bishop is a mixed bag. On social issues, like same-sex marriage, he is quite liberal. However, he doesn't shove his social views in the faces of parishioners nor priests. He does not preach any biblical revisionism and is quite orthodox in this regard. In fact, he gives some of the best sermons i've ever heard. Overall, we are fortunate to have who we have and not somebody worse. However, he does seem to go along with the national church.

As far as the rest of the diocese, i'd say most parishes trend toward liberal, as far as the Rectors go anyway. The laity, like most TEC parishes, is a pretty even split for the most part. Only 2 parishes, that I know of, are openly revisionist. I'd imagine that a majority of the laity are oblivious to what is going on or are too old to care.

As far as what individual parishioners can do, i'd say evangelism is our best bet. The revisionist group does not evangelize and they are smaller than they seem (they make a lot of noise though and sure are good politicians). We can do our part by bringing people into our parish who share our passion for biblical Anglicanism and biblical Christianity. To me, that has to be the #1 way we can make a difference. Secondly, get involved with your parish. Make your voice known when it comes to Sunday school materials and Bible study materials. Attend the Bible studies and offer biblical answers to the discussions. Always remember to be a good Christian witness for your fellow parishioners. What I mean by that is to always take the high road when it comes to discussions. If revisionist parishioners attack and insult you, respond with love and kindness. I'm not going to lie, what God has called us to do in TEC is not an easy task, especially those in liberal parishes and dioceses. Above all else, remember to always keep praying. Pray for those who oppose you and pray for the parish and diocese.

I'm curious, for those of you in orthodox dioceses, what are your Bishops doing? How do they view the current state of the Church and the upcoming General Convention? Do they see any hope for TEC?

3. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
  4. Anna Scott

Sean, I can't watch youtube on my computer (dial-up). So, will watch this next trip to the Library.

Sean & Anglican74, I appreciate your comments. I usually ponder things a bit. Will have more comments in next few days.

Hoping more forum members will join the discussion.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

5. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think the chief thing is to humbly learn about Anglicanism, so not to become so orthodox that we end up being non-orthodox, and even more importantly to be able to dialog and share our faith

6. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

"I don't know" isn't a very good response, so I'm holding off until I have a better answer. :D

7. Anna Scott

Adam,
    I appreciate your honesty. :D It's a tough question. That's why I asked.

Anna

8. Anna Scott

This is a good reminder for all of us, Sean. We must live out out faith and that includes bringing others into our Lord's house, so they can hear the Gospel faithfully and truthfully proclaimed.

However, some people are a bit hesitant about accepting invitations, because of the liberal agenda being played out so publicly. In spite of this, I am happy to say many young families are coming into our conservative Parish.

Also, I think TEC does a great job of ministering to the needs of the community and beyond; and that is an important witness.

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”---St. Francis of Assisi

Agreed.

Sean, I think this is so important for us all to remember. Our Rector has stressed the fact that we must get it right among ourselves, before going out into the world. We must demonstrate the love of Christ with our Christian brothers and sisters.

So, you make a very important point in this regard.

Yes, prayer is powerful.

As I posted on another thread, General Convention approval of an authorized rite for the blessing of same-gender relationships is expected. The Bishop says he will vote no on the ceremony and no on ordination/consecration of those living in same gender relationships. Same-sex marriage is not legal in our state. So, the blessing liturgy will not create or solemnize any marriage or civil union.

Sadly, with the expected decision of General Convention, two parishes in our state will be authorized to perform the "rite" for same-sex union blessings. In the future, other congregations in our diocese may request permission to perform the ceremony; and there will be a provision for clergy who wish to do blessings of same-gender relationships outside the church.

Or Bishop says orthodox/traditional Episcopal congregations/rectors may state that they will not conduct or participate in rites for blessing persons of the same gender, or sponsor anyone for ordination, or employ any clergy who are in a non-celibate relationship outside holy matrimony.

However, I think the Bishop is more inclined to promote unity between those of opposing views, rather than encouraging a return to orthodoxy. So, I'm a bit guarded about his agenda.

Our Rector has made it very clear that he will never perform any rites or blessings of same-sex unions or sponsor anyone for ordination, or employ any clergy who are in a non-celibate relationship outside holy matrimony. He is teaching classes regarding the Biblical view of men/women, sexuality, and what God expects of us. The weekly classes will last for quite awhile. I missed the first few classes due to health issues, but hope to attend tonight.

Peace,
    Anna[/QUOTE]

9. Anna Scott

anglican74,
    I understand where you are coming from; but the 39 Articles do not address same-sex issues. At the time the 39 Articles and Catechism in the BCP were penned, no one had a clue we would be facing same-sex unions and blessings of sexual relationships out side the Sacrament of Marriage.

Anna

10. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    [/quote]

Anna,

Good point, it's very difficult evangelizing for TEC. This is something that I hope to bring up before our parish sometime soon. How do we evangelize when the national church has taken such controversial positions? What do we say about gay marriage and same sex blessings? How about supporting OWS? The very odd position on abortion? Suing brothers in Christ for property? How do we explain Bishops and priests who say Christ isn't the only way? How do we explain the mass membership drops and exodus of the laity? This is just the tip of the iceberg, it's a hard position to be in when trying to evangelize. Ironically, in the quest to become "inclusive," the church is becoming very "exclusive."

It's a good policy to be upfront with people who are curious about the church, however, the church does do some things very well:

1. Ministry to the needy. The ministry to the poor and the needy in TEC is incredible. You will be given all the opportunities you want to get involved and help.

2. Fellowship. Most TEC parishes are fairly small to really small and you can really get acquainted with your fellow parishioners. Also, most parishes offer coffee and pastries after the service, creating more opportunity for Christian fellowship. Many Roman Catholics complain that they go to mass and then go home, very little opportunity for fellowship.

3. The Book of Common Prayer and Liturgy. This is what sets us Anglicans apart from the pack. This is a beautiful and very good resource for prayer and for strengthing and understanding our Anglican faith. Many religous bodies admit that Anglican worship and liturgy is in a class by itself. Almost everything you want to know about TEC can be found in the BCP.

4. The five senses. The Anglican worship stimulates the senses of touch, sight, hearing, smell, and taste. We have beautiful organ music with all the classic hymns. We worship in beautiful parishes and cathedrals, we honor the altar and house of our Lord. Many parishes use incense and other smells and bells. All are welcome to the Lord's table, baptism being the only requirement.

5. Diversity of Belief. This one is a gift and a curse. We are creedal Christians. We don't look down on those who believe in praying the Hail Mary or asking Saints for intercession. Some pray the rosary or the Anglican rosary and some don't. Some make the sign of the cross, some don't. Some use the '79 BCP, others use the '28 BCP. Some believe in spritual "real presence," others believe in a literal, transubstantiation "real presence." Sadly, this freedom of belief has been highjacked by some that choose to question the miracles and other traditions.

6. A middle way between protestantism and Catholicism. We don't accept all the dogmas of Catholicism, nor do we accept all the dogmas of protestantism. Anglicanism is a "middle way."

7. Some parishes are better than others. This is true regardless of which church you choose to affiliate with. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, or any other denomination. You'll have good and bad in any denomination. You'll also have good and bad leadership in any denomination you choose.

Anna Scott and Adam Warlock like this.
  11. Anna Scott

Anna,

Good point, it's very difficult evangelizing for TEC. This is something that I hope to bring up before our parish sometime soon. How do we evangelize when the national church has taken such controversial positions? What do we say about gay marriage and same sex blessings? How about supporting OWS? The very odd position on abortion? Suing brothers in Christ for property? How do we explain Bishops and priests who say Christ isn't the only way? How do we explain the mass membership drops and exodus of the laity? This is just the tip of the iceberg, it's a hard position to be in when trying to evangelize. Ironically, in the quest to become "inclusive," the church is becoming very "exclusive."

It's a good policy to be upfront with people who are curious about the church, however, the church does do some things very well:

1. Ministry to the needy. The ministry to the poor and the needy in TEC is incredible. You will be given all the opportunities you want to get involved and help.

2. Fellowship. Most TEC parishes are fairly small to really small and you can really get acquainted with your fellow parishioners. Also, most parishes offer coffee and pastries after the service, creating more opportunity for Christian fellowship. Many Roman Catholics complain that they go to mass and then go home, very little opportunity for fellowship.

3. The Book of Common Prayer and Liturgy. This is what sets us Anglicans apart from the pack. This is a beautiful and very good resource for prayer and for strengthing and understanding our Anglican faith. Many religous bodies admit that Anglican worship and liturgy is in a class by itself. Almost everything you want to know about TEC can be found in the BCP.

4. The five senses. The Anglican worship stimulates the senses of touch, sight, hearing, smell, and taste. We have beautiful organ music with all the classic hymns. We worship in beautiful parishes and cathedrals, we honor the altar and house of our Lord. Many parishes use incense and other smells and bells. All are welcome to the Lord's table, baptism being the only requirement.

5. Diversity of Belief. This one is a gift and a curse. We are creedal Christians. We don't look down on those who believe in praying the Hail Mary or asking Saints for intercession. Some pray the rosary or the Anglican rosary and some don't. Some make the sign of the cross, some don't. Some use the '79 BCP, others use the '28 BCP. Some believe in spritual "real presence," others believe in a literal, transubstantiation "real presence." Sadly, this freedom of belief has been highjacked by some that choose to question the miracles and other traditions.

6. A middle way between protestantism and Catholicism. We don't accept all the dogmas of Catholicism, nor do we accept all the dogmas of protestantism. Anglicanism is a "middle way."

7. Some parishes are better than others. This is true regardless of which church you choose to affiliate with. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, or any other denomination. You'll have good and bad in any denomination. You'll also have good and bad leadership in any denomination you choose.[/quote]

Sean,
    I love your post, because we do need to focus and remember the good in Anglicanism; and there is a great deal of good. Actually, you have answered much regarding why Anglicans stay in TEC. That's a questions I've been hearing often lately.

Great comments, :)
    Anna

12. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is interesting if the laity is evenly split, which raises questions why so any ministers are leaning towards liberal. We need to work to putting more orthodox anglicans in the ministry.

I think one important step for orthodox christians in any denomination is not to give up and break away. The church of Scotland is facing a similar crisis, where a few congregations and ministers have left because of the support for liberalism within the church.

This doesn't seem to be the best way forward, for by the orthodox christians leaving, they're making the liberal wing of the church stronger with the result that they are handing the national church over to liberals and false teachers.

Anna Scott likes this.
  13. Sean611

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    You are exactly right, breaking away hasn't worked well at all in North America. There are 22+ Anglican churches in America, this completely goes against what it means to be Anglican. When some leave, the liberal wing just gains more steam. The problem with getting more orthodox Anglicans in ministry is the fact that many liberal bishops will deny a candidate just because he's not in "lockstep" with the liberal wing.

Anna Scott likes this.
  14. Anna Scott

And so we have this vicious circle--orthodox Anglicans leave; liberals gain more ground bringing in more liberals; orthodox leaders are shut out; conservative Christians, outside TEC, read/hear the news which focuses on same-sex unions/ordinations of non-celibates, etc.; fewer people consider entering TEC, because they think we all have abandoned the faith.

So, where does that leave us? It's like we're on a plane that has been hijacked--either the hijackers are subdued (hopefully returned to orthodoxy,) or the plane goes down and crashes into a rubble of millions of pieces.

Anna