What about calendars in Europe marking Monday as the 1st day of the week

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by rstrats, Apr 16, 2014.

1. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If Saturday is the day of rest, it should be the day of worship - that way people are off work and can attend church. The fact that Sunday has been the universal day for worship in almost all denominations for centuries proves the point - for a Christian, Sunday is the Sabbath.

The seventh day, Sunday.

I'm counting back. Sunday is the day of rest and has been seen that way by Christians for a very long time now. That makes Sunday the last day ("On the seventh day He rested") and counting back Monday is the first day.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Active Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Wouldn't it make sense that God would start his creative work on 'The Day of The Lord', (Lord's Day) which would be the 'first day', i.e. what was to become, Sunday. It would, after all have been the first day, (scripture says so). Gen.1:5. (Scripture does not tell us how many hours, months, years, millenium, etc were in that first day. There was nothing yet made by which it could be measured). He then rested on Saturday, marking the end of the week. (That's if it took a literal and measured 'calendar week', which, by our scientific understanding and reason, is by no means certain either).

anglican74 likes this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    If that's true, then we Christians have abrogated one of the Ten Commandments, and are all of us, with our messiah, false impostors in the faith and religion of Abraham, and the Jews have been right about us all along

Thankfully, for most of our history until the last few decades or so, the Church has had clarity that Saturday is the sabbath day, and Sunday is the Lord's day

I don't think the data of Scripture support this exegesis, as he entered the day on Palm Sunday, the day following the Sabbath, and was resurrected seven days after

Both Saturday and Sunday are 'days of rest' in our civil life, so I see no indication of what you are saying

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Excellent points, all!