Versions of the Bible

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Hmm, how long is 'a bit'? :hmm: Methinks he wants a Bible sooner rather than later....

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Since it's an Orthodox project, it's hard to say. They don't view time like we do. Could be next year; could be five years from now.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  3. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I see..... well then, setting a schedule must therefore be.... un-orthodox! :laugh: ("Boss, I can't tell you when I'll finish the project you gave me; didn't you know that deadlines are un-orthodox?") LOL. :D

Anglo-cracker likes this.
  4. Brigid

Brigid Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    AngloCatholic
    I love the KJV 21st century. It updates the spelling/grammar and updates words that have changed their meaning, but keeps the poetic language! It's great! I have it on an android app. Also have the ESV on an android app. Have a Douay-Rhiems, too (hardcopy).

Will_ likes this.
  5. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The Bible versions which derive from the far more numerous Byzantine region texts certainly are the better ones. Despite being far more numerous, they have fewer deviations/variants within them than those of Alexandrian region provenance. Westcott and Hort did a great disservice to Christianity with their work, for they heavily favored Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, etc.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  6. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Indeed it could be a thousand years from now. In Orthodoxy time does not exist; St. Anthony the Great it seems like was with us only yesterday, and there is also the interesting case of apparently deceased bishops appearing to celebrate the liturgy in neglected parishes, and bilocation among those still amongst the living (see St. Nectarios and St. John Maximovitch).

7. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Indeed so. This is the way to go. I have the Orthodox Study Bible, a King James Study Bible sadly lacking the deuterocanon, with commentary by an annoying panel of premillenial dispensationalists, and a Lutheran Study Bible, as well as a Challoner Douay Rheims, a Murdoch Peshitta New Testament, a Sir Lancelot Brenton Septuagint, and divers others including a Geneva Bible.

Where the commentaries align, which happens a great deal, I can feel confident a point of Christian doctrine regarding Scriptural interpretation is incontrovertible.

8. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    I love the first edition, and will definitely get another one when it comes out.