Universalism

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Tiffy likes this.
  3. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Yes, interesting, but no big surprises. The writer seems to suggest a sort of Purgatorial state after death in which God burns away the evil inclinations and deeds of an unrepentant sinner, turning him into a willing follower. In the course of the document many scriptures which countermand the thesis are not dealt with in the least.

4. Lowly Layman

What big surprises were you expecting? Universalists believe in Universalism. It's in the name. And they point to the many biblical sources to that endorse the stance. What more were you hoping for from a summary of Universalism?

5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    A bit like reading the Preface and then deciding on the strength of an understanding of it, that it's not worth reading the book to discover if those arguments actually hold water.

Which of the alternative Gospels do we have here? St Paul's Gospel or one of the others?

It certainly seems to be consistent with the teaching of St Paul the Apostle but characteristically without the fire and brimstone to be found elsewhere in other places from the pens of some others.

Before anyone accuses me though, I'm not advocating Marcianism.

6. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I could hope for the surprise of a universalist who does not ignore the plain and obvious scriptures which contradict his universalist beliefs! :D But they all appear to be like the horses to which blinders have been fitted.

7. Lowly Layman

Invictus likes this.
  8. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
  9. ByOldEyes

ByOldEyes Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I may have missed it, but the author does not seem to discuss Revelation 21:6-8, where it appears that the wicked participate in the second death after the Consummation, which doesn't comport with his interpretation of other texts, nor does it agree with the eschatological order of events he presents.

Rexlion likes this.
  10. ByOldEyes

ByOldEyes Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Something else I noticed (but needed to review the relevant biblical texts before I commented on it) is the way the author understands the aions/ages. He considers the "aionion punishment" of Matthew 25:46 to occur in an aion which ends, after which a subsequent aion follows, and therefore should not be translated "eternal punishment." The glaring problem with this is that the judgment Jesus is referring to in Matthew 25 occurs after the Millennium (see the parallels to Revelation 20). What this means is that it happens in an aion after which no other aion follows. Therefore, it is an eternal, unending aion, the final aion of history. "Eternal" is the correct translation in Matthew 25:46.

Rexlion likes this.