Transgender Episcopal Priest...need I say more?

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Lowly Layman, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Sure it has....why else would the church celebrate those that have helped lead our ongoing revelation. people like Martin LutherKing have feast days, His Grace Desmond Tutu is revered in not just the Communion but outside of it, others of lesser known stature could be named, indeed the "Reformation" leaders are revered for their works if not held in esteem by every practising Anglican. Every church reforms, the Reormation isn't over. and it's not just protestant anymore either.

And where did Jesus whip sinners? Funny....I seem to miss that part in the Gospels. If that were the case then nearly 2000 years of christian tradition would be based on a lie then.

2. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    :facepalm:

Oh, and as for this...

St John,2:15
    "Making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables"

St. Matthew 21:12
    "And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you make it a den of thieves.”

Apocalypse 21:8
    "The fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone"

3. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Yap I am out.

Just so you know the only growth in the church is with people who embrace traditions not insane liberalism.

4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian

I respect your opinions 7sacraments, but as for ongoing revelation, that is not orthodox; we have the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. Nothing can be added to it.

highchurchman and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I am very aware of what is written in scripture Spherelink, please point out where Jesus said that the Church cannot have transgender priests, actually please point out where Jesus said anything about homosexuals or transgender brothers and sisters.

I ask this tongue in cheek because I am really fed up with selective quoting of scripture - I find no love in it at all.

7sacraments likes this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I believe the Genesis account of creation, just as the church fathers did. I do not see how the Word of God and the flawed and unproven theory of Evolution are compatible. If you believe in both, it's only because you do not take at least one of them seriously. We all recognize the sacrality of god given reason, but god does not contradict himself. Reason, if it is reasonable at all, is a guidepost to Truth when it conforms to and strengthens those truths contained in the Word of God. As Christians and Anglicans, our reason is chained to the revealed Word of God, and will only lead us to God's wisdom if it remains so. The Word of God teaches us that Jesus Christ is the New Adam. It is unreasonable to call him that if there was no old Adam. Christ did not embrace and forgive all sinners, only those who recognized their sin and need for forgiveness. His first message during his earthly ministry was "Repent" not, have faith in me and live however you want no matter how sinful. He also said that if we love him, we will obey his commands.

7. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Great, you hold to a rather foolish view of creation cause you cannot accept that the alegory of the Genesis story, while not untrue is far DIFFERENT then what literal words are written. Odd. Considering as Jesus himself used parables ALL THE TIME in teaching his followers, the Pharisees and any that came unto Him in that manner.

Your view of creation is altered by fact, with is using Reason, which is as fundemental a part of Anglican tradition as is the Scripture. You hold to Scripture but can't get the full meaning when you choke yourself when holding to a ridiculous and frankly faulty view of creation.

You ascribe to be a phyisician of the world's evils yet, with such a faulty viewprint it would be a better case of physician heal thyself that's needed.

8. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    So your points are the following genesis might not be a hundred percent literal, and God did not exactly clearly speak out against the concept of transgenderism so than everything permitted. Sin away. Just make sure you got reason behind and God will be ok with it. Man reason trumps everything except for man pride.

The Lord shall come again to judge the world and only those who can not argue well enough will go to the lake of fire. I better stop repenting and start studying to find an excuss for my sins.

9. Lowly Layman

I don't ascribe myself to be a physician and never have--I frankly have no idea what your referring to-- I am nothing more than a lowly layman in the Anglican church, nothing more than a poor sinner saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, I plainly confess that I cannot heal myself at all. But thanks to the mercy of God, I know a physician who can heal me and all who put their faith in him. I know him through his revealed word. His word is true and everlasting and because I believe the Word when it says I am saved through the finished work of Jesus Christ, I am bound also to believe it when it says God made the world in 6 days. I am bound also to believe it when it calls sexual immorality a sin and says they will in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven. God does not ignore sin, he forgives it, but only if one confesses and repents of it.

Peteprint and Rev2104 like this.
  10. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    When did this become about Genesis? Opinions on Genesis have nothing to do with, whether God has saved for Fornicators and Deviants a horrific special place in the Lake of Fire. See above quote from the Apocalypse/Revelation. (There are many more other quotes against them in holy scripture.)

11. Lowly Layman

Spherelink, I take your point, but I respectfully disagree. If one does not respect the truth of God's Word in one area of scripture and feels at liberty to reinterpret or rewrite it to fit into the cultural worldview of any given moment, one is easily able to do it to any and all areas of scripture. If you can write off the beginning of the bible as poetical nonsense, you can do the same to the end, or to any parts in between that you don't like. That's the heart of the problem in just about every case where liberalism has marred the face of historic and orthodox Christianity. And it is the source of the conflict in this thread as well.

12. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Oh sure, I believe the Genesis account just as well, it's just that the progressives shift topics in an attempt to bog us down. The matter of interpreting the Genesis account does in no way impinge on on the truth of scripture as such. One can believe that Creation was made by God in a single instant as Augustine believed, instead of 6 24-hour days, and that in no way affects whether the fornicators are condemnde to horrible fate by God.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  13. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Yikes I had to go back and make sure I was on the right forum... :) when I saw the argument for the literal Genesis story and a 6000 year old earth I thought I was on the Landover Baptist parody forum. :) Some here love to bog them selves down in semantics and dogma and honestly it does not get you anywhere. The Jesus of the Gospels was a friend to sinners and tax collectors and his Gospel was about love and forgiveness - he said follow me! - not make up a heap of dogma about me and then argue about it later.

blessings, Gordon

7sacraments likes this.
  14. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  15. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Exactly which was Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and with all your strength and love your neighbour as yourself. He who is without sin cast the first stone etc. etc. etc.

We can cherry pick scripture all day and use it out of context, but it does not change the message that Jesus gave us through his example of what it is to be human and to die for a friend.

16. Lowly Layman

the point is not to cherry pick Gordon

Rev2104 likes this.
  17. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    And when we Sin, we turn away from it repenting. Not ignore sin, change what sin is or just accept sin.
    Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
    Living in sin is against God's plan.
    And loving your neighbor is not encourging them to Sin, I believe in hell.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  18. Lowly Layman

but to try, with God's help, to keep them all.

Rev2104 likes this.
  19. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I know so why do some here choose to do it?

7sacraments likes this.
  20. 7sacraments

7sacraments Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Liberal Anglo-Catholic
    Cause it's convienient for them. Rather then engage in intelligent dialogue about how people may view Scripture they with to justify their position. I've been as guity of that as others have. Rather then open and non-negating dialogue to understand how we interpret the Scripture.

I can only apologize on my part for that...but that's why I'm here to get over that judgementalism.

Gordon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.