Thought-provoking BBC article about African slavetraders in Nigeria

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Stalwart, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This really had me rethink some things about the history of slavery. It's certainly not what we've been told in the mainstream narrative.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752

"Nigerian journalist and novelist Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani writes that one of her ancestors sold slaves, but argues that he should not be judged by today's standards or values.

My great-grandfather, Nwaubani Ogogo Oriaku, was what I prefer to call a businessman, from the Igbo ethnic group of south-eastern Nigeria. He dealt in a number of goods, including tobacco and palm produce. He also sold human beings.

"He had agents who captured slaves from different places and brought them to him," my father told me.

Nwaubani Ogogo's slaves were sold through the ports of Calabar and Bonny in the south of what is today known as Nigeria."

---
    Thoughts?

_113278227_gettyimages-188005118-1.jpg

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Indeed, black Africans were involved in capturing and selling other black Africans.

Historically, people did not shy away from enslaving people of their own ethnicity. For example, according to the 1830 US census, there were 3,775 free black people who owned 12,740 black slaves.

Most people of African descent who now reside in the US are not descended from US slaves. And most Caucasians in the US today are not descended from slave owners; the great influx of immigrants from Europe to the US occurred after the Civil War, particularly from 1880 to 1930.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020