Thinking of Joining Anglican Tradition...

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Justin Haskins, May 23, 2013.

1. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Lord, forgive me for being a liberal, but here's a prayer that I thought was appropriate, from the BCP:
    MOST Gracious God, we humbly beseech Thee
    for Thy holy Catholic Church.
    Fill it with all truth; in all truth with all peace.
    Where it is corrupt, purify it;
    where it is in error, direct it;
    where any thing is amiss, reform it;
    where it is right, strengthen and confirm it;
    where it is in want, furnish it;
    where it is divided and rent asunder, make it whole again;
    through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Amen.

Robert likes this.
  2. Justin Haskins

Justin Haskins Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    It is one of the most important prayers you could cite...And there is nothing wrong with being a "liberal." At the end of the day, as long as we are trying to preserve the teachings of the apostles and do what God wants us to do...we are working in the right direction. IMHO

Lux Christi likes this.
  3. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Dave, well said. I now have more days behind me than I have ahead of me. In my life I have worshipped in several different traditions. I have yet to find one with which I agreed on 100% of things. I also fully believe, that every part of the Body when facing Christ, will hear him say, "You know what, that's not exactly what I meant. But come on in, you did your best to be faithful as you understood it."

To the OP, I invite you to come and see.

Lux Christi likes this.
  4. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    My parish is a strange one, but I suppose that is the case with parishes that have a good majority of Affirming Catholics; while we follow the rubrics the best we can, as well as add in the Catholic elements that have gone lost in translation during the creation of the Prayer Book (such as the prayers for the departed, and the appropriate Marian anthems of the season), we still try to have an open-door policy. The rector is a liturgical stickler and a theological conservative, so we practice the Divine Liturgy in a way we feel reflects the way the saints have worshipped, and how the angels in Heaven must be worshipping!

A lot of people assume that the liberal strand of Anglicanism is some sort of free-for-all do-as-you-may sort of thing, but not all are like that. I am very thankful for my church community!

Celtic1 and Justin Haskins like this.
  5. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I appreciate the invitation and for your time!

6. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    It sounds like a very vibrant and unique community! In Chicago, many Episcopal churches are certainly NOT that way, although I suspect some are.

Lux Christi likes this.