The Immaculate Conception of John the Baptist

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by BibleHoarder, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BibleHoarder

BibleHoarder Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian (Protestant)
    Would you say there is scriptural support for the idea that John the Baptist was immaculately conceived?

2. mediaque

mediaque New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    I don't know so much about being 'Immaculately Conceived'. I haven't heard that before. However, the Scriptures do speak of him being filled with the Holy Spirit in the womb.

13 But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zechari’ah, for your prayer is heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. 14And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth; 15for he will be great before the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. (Luke 1:13-15)

I have heard it said that because of the above quoted scripture, the notion could be considered that he was born without original sin. But, there is even a back and forth about that notion as well.

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Is there any argument in favor of it?
    :run:

4. mediaque

mediaque New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Of which? The immaculate conception of John or born without original sin?

Immaculate Conception .... No, not that I have heard of or read.
    Born without original sin .... Yes and no. They were divided on that issue and having a long debate over it.

5. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Reformed High Anglican
    I've never heard of this either in Scripture or Tradition.

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I see this as 'tread with extreme care'. Nothing in this theology should be allowed to reduce the significance of the uniqueness of Christ and his Incarnation. It seems that the idea presented adds nothing of real value to our understanding of the Gospel. The tradition has been to refer to him as John the forerunner or John the Baptiser. The mysterious movement in the narrative of the Visitation points us, not to John but to Jesus.

JoeLaughon, mediaque and dariakus like this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    The immaculate conception occurred when the Holy Spirit caused the virgin Mary to be with child. There is no Bible evidence of this ever happening to anyone else.

Luk 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
    Luk 1:14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
    Luk 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb

Notice that the angel said, your wife will bear you a son. This shows that Zechariah was the natural father of John. (In other words, it was done the 'old fashoned way'.)

JoeLaughon likes this.