The call to ordination and restlessness.

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Simon Richardson, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello everyone.

So as you may have guessed from the title I have strong sense that God is calling me and over the past couple of years I have been discussing this sense of calling with my priest. To cut a long and winding story short she has agreed that I have a vocation and is sending me to the diocean office for a full assesment and interview after my confirmation. I have prayed, studied, reflected and listened to the word and voice of God I am certain that this is the path he wants for me (even if I am not to be ordained I feel my life is in the service of God and Church), my question is for anyone who has gone down this path before is have you or someone you know experience this almost restless energy and wakefulness, I am often up late at night either in prayer or feeling a strong desire to reflect upon the events of my life reguarding ordination. My priest said that many priests that she trained/worked with experience this restlessness. Have you experienced this restlessness if not what was the call to ordination like for you.

Thank you for your time and God Bless,

Simon.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
  3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Be aware though that the vocation of priest and the job of being a vicar are very different from each other. Find out exactly what is involved with both aspects of priesthood before deciding to enthusiastically embrace both or you will end up 'trying to serve two very different masters and chosing one over the other' and that would not work well for either you or your flock.

Simon Richardson likes this.
  4. Simon Richardson

Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks for the response, you aren't the first person to talk about this and I'm sure you won't be the last (and with good reason). I am aware of the difference my priest and I have had this conversation many times. It was one of the first things we discussed if my memory serves, she was understandably cautious about my awarenss of the diference due to my age. I imagine if you like any sort of community organisation the position of Vicar can look very attractive but I can confidently say its not the job of Vicar that I feel called to but the life of the Priest.

5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I was thinking along different lines though. Many priests felt called to the pastoral duties of the cure of souls but found themselves being more of a manager of church property and a fund raising lacky. It's all part of the job though and the teaching/preaching/celbrating communion bit is often the least arduous and least time consuming part. Beware of going in thinking you will be called upon mostly for your spiritual 'gifts' or have extensive opportunities to deal with the 'spiritually impoverished'. It's rarely like that. Get any idea of 'status' out of your mind altogether.

6. Simon Richardson

Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't disagree with you on that point either but I do understand these differences my parish priest has been very clear on them and I can appreciate the fact that my priest spends a great deal more time on the organisation front as I have been helping her with various projects over the past year. Much of my calling is reaffirmed by seeing the various work that my priest and other clergy do. The priesthood isn't about status for me its about service and doing what I feel called to do for others.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I wish you God speed in your studies and your vocation then Simon. I am not ordained myself, I am a Church of England Licenced Lay Minister but I have experience of the priesthood. I have been married to one since 1998, so I know what is involved in ministry. It seems you have already had wise advice.

8. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    restlessness can be either a call to the priesthood. Or the Spirit acting on you as you are making a faulty decision. Restlessness is not always a sign you are on the correct path. Understand if you are on the path for a vocation, Satan will come at you with everything to include the kitchen sink.

I advise that you pray, pray, pray, pray and make sure of your intentions. Test the spirit. Then read Fulton Sheens' "A Priest is not His Own." If you still believe you are called after reading this book, you just may be correct.

God's will be done. Then accept it.

Blessings,

Fr. Mark Brown

9. Simon Richardson

Religion:
    Anglican

Thank you Father for your response and thank you for being open about Satan I find too many people overly dismissive of the influence of evil on our lives despite the bible’s clarity on this issue. My prayer on the matter has been largely fruitful, but I feel you are absolutely correct that I must be cautious that I may well be wrong for the priesthood and might be being drawn in for the wrong reasons both practically, as Tilly rightfully suggested and evil as you have.

God bless you and your ministry.

Simon.