Should I be Anglican

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Angelica, Aug 12, 2013.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Subscription to the Articles is not required by laypeople in the C of E, nor has it ever been. (The King's Declaration indicates that it is meant for all his subjects.) The official teaching of Anglicanism is contained in the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion and Books of Homilies. People seeking to learn about the Anglican tradition should read those documents and clergy are expected to teach them. It is a serious violation of the ordination oath to not teach the doctrine contained therein.

2. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    AMEN!

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

people seeking to join the Anglican Church should become Baptized and/or Confirmed in a parish...Articles dont make you a member, the sacraments do. the Scriptures, the creeds, the councils, the church fathers, ans rhe tradition of the first 600 years set the boundaries of my faith, as it did for Henry the VIII, John jewell, Lancelot Andrewes, and many other Anglicans...where i see that the Articles affirm that faith, i support it. where the deviate, i reject it.

4. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Of course the way of joining is baptism and/or confirmation. You are misquoting me, purposefully. I said:

The parameters of Anglican doctrine are the Thirty-nine Articles, Prayer Book, and Homilies (which are faithful witnesses of the teaching of Holy Scripture), not the church councils or divines or fathers, save only where they teach the former.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

6. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    It is so messy to take the name 'Anglican', but it is a good reminder that the Church is made up of imperfect individuals trying to please Christ. And we can certainly use that as a mark of dynamic humility!