Question about lessons on ParishPrayer.org

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by anglican74, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:45 AM.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Can anyone explain this to me?
    Their entry for March 17 has Exodus 26 (etc) as the First Lesson of the day

But my brand new (antique) 1662 BCP has Judges 2 as the First lesson...

Am I reading the 1662 incorrectly?

2. dariakus

dariakus New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is there a separate set of lessons for Lent 2 or St. Patrick’s Day perhaps?

3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Curious......I think it depends on how old your edition of the 1662 actually is as the tables of lessons have undergone some revision over the years. (Lessons were originally very long as whole chapters were read systematically.)

I found an old edition online which indeed shows Judges 2 as the OT lesson for Morning Prayer on 17th March whereas in my edition the OT lesson for MP is from Deuteronomy 4. As the 17th today is a Sunday and Lent 2 there is a proper lesson which is Genesis 27. My BCP 1662 gives an alternative reading from Sirach 4. This is from the Revised Table of Lessons 1922.

I noticed that the iPray app used the reading from the Apocrypha for MP today.

dariakus likes this.
  4. dariakus

dariakus New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Out of curiosity, I’ve been considering getting a copy of the 1662 (I attend a 1928 Anglo-Catholic parish in the USA). Any recommendations on the best one to pick up?

Thanks!

5. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I have quite a few copies but they're all rather plain in terms of presentation/binding. Many of mine have been passed down from immediate family members - mostly from my mother who seemed to have amassed a collection as Sunday School prizes when a child.

I bought an enlarged edition from the UK Prayer Book Society a few years ago which has a larger footprint and bigger text but is still of managable size. I believe they sell both plain and presentation versions.

There are some lovely Victorian copies on eBay UK and many of these are beautifully bound but they're often very small and I don't think I could cope with the tiny font size. Anglicans must have had better eyesight in the 19th century!

dariakus likes this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    So it sounds like until 1922, the Lessons were pretty much uniform across the 1662 BCP editions, for centuries past, is that right? I have an old antique BCP, like what you have found online which had Judges....

Do you think that the ParishPrayer.org website is using the post-1922 revised lessons? I very much admire the Old method where whole chapters were read!

O_o
    I wonder where they got that from?

dariakus likes this.