Lutheran Hymns

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Fidei Defensor, Mar 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think we can appreciate Martin Luther’s strides, that he helped launch The Reformation, discovered the Agape of God in Romans, formulated the age old truth in the Scriptures of salvation by faith (Philippians 3:9, Ephesnians 2:5-9), and his early writings were full of tenderness, “we must be tender towards are Roman (religion) neighbor, and give them time to come our way in the reforms. For some are running ahead of us in reform, others walk, and some are but crawling. So let us be patient and kind towards them as they grow.” (From The Ninety-Five Theses and Other Writings, Martin Luther, Penguin Publishers, Ebook ISBN: 9780698187931) . Granted, later he became a crumpus and even contradicted his major hallmarks.

It is without question that his hymns are very catchy, especially A Mighty Fortess Is Our God.

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Indeed, the Lutheran hymnody is one of the major gifts to the wider Church

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  3. Jeffg

Jeffg New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    Having been brought up as Lutheran, I do appreciate the music. Not much on the modern "rock n preach" services that I see at non-liturgical churchs

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  4. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Same here. The modern worship feels like its trying so hard mimic pop culture music (and its sales) rather than usher you into the presence of the Lord Trinity.

5. Jeffg

Jeffg New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    I agree. I've been to church "services" where it feels more like entertainment then worship

6. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian