How to defend the belief only men should be ordained?

Discussion in 'Sacraments and Holy Orders' started by Anglican04, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Quite so! Which underlines the truth that simplistic interpretation of meaning does not always arrive at the Truth. Some 'truths', especially spiritual truths, are more complex than can be encapsulated in simple statements.

2. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Others are remarkably simple.

Matthew 28:19 describes for us the sacrament and mystery of Baptism and the Great Commission of the Church.

Galatians 1:8 tells us what to do with heretics.

John 3:16 establishes a basis of faith.

And a few slightly longer texts are powerful indeed:

A literal reading of John 1:1 is sufficient to understand the person of the Logos, and of John 1:1-14 or John 1-17, or John 1 entire, which is a very short text which explains the Incarnation and the work of St. John the Baptist. The former is read at the end of Tridentine solemn masses, except on certain days, and some Anglo Catholic services, the Armenian Soorp Badarak (or Surb Patarag in the Eastern dialect, essentially, their communion services) and in my opinion is highly desirable in Western Rite uses where it is traditional*, and also in the Western Rite on Christmas Day or Christmas Sunday. In the Eastern Orthodox church John 1:-17 is the Gospel read at the Paschal Eucharist traditionally served in the early hours of the morning on Easter Sunday (following Paschal Nocturnes, Paschal Matins, and the Paschal Homily of St. Chrysostom).

And 1 Corinthians 11, which is not a long read, explains the institution and special nature of the supreme sacrament and mystery of Holy Communion.

And James 2 explains the difference between a living faith which is demonstrated by works enabled by the indwelling Spirit, and a dead faith which is a mere intellectual belief, probably in a heretical misconception of Christianity, which lacks works. This ties in of course with the very terse Pauline instruction to “test every spirit” which applies as much to men as to angelic apparitions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Tiffy likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here is a lecture I heard on this subject just a couple of days ago, presented by the Vicar General of our diocese of the West at a clergy retreat. His argument is based on three iconographies which appear in the Scriptures, all patriarchal. This one really stole the show and our Lutheran ecumenical guests were impressed with this teaching as well. It runs 1:07:00 so make sure you've got a block of time before you play the video:

Rexlion, Liturgyworks and Brigid like this.
  4. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Splendid! :tiphat:

Shane R likes this.
  5. tstor

tstor Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian - Protestant
    I'll be that guy and bump an old thread :p I have just started seriously considering this subject for the first time and wanted to say that the initial exchange between @Tiffy and @Stalwart has been very helpful. I picked up a copy of Anglicans and Tradition and the Ordination of Women by Henry McAdoo to help get me going. I am, of course, familiar with the anti-WO argumentation. Can't say the same for the pro-WO side.

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    As you probably know it is forbidden on this website to promote women's ministry. I suspect that it may also be frowned upon to study any exposition of scripture which either questions the legitimacy of male only priesthood or argues for equal validity of male or female sacerdotal effectiveness in the power of The Holy Spirit. Certainly you won't be allowed to express your research results openly unless they fall squarely into the male only priesthood 'bin'.

I would be careful how you tread.

Regards Tiffy.

tstor likes this.