How to approach the Blessed Virgin Mary

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    "the Romans" are not all the same - just as the Anglicans are not all the same.

2. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    That is very true. However, it is not the same as saying all Romans do not have to follow the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church. It was those doctrines I believe Carolinian was referring to.

It is well known that the Roman Catholic hierarchy in Germany believes it is not bound by Roman Catholic doctrines. However, that is not what is officially taught by the Holy See.

Othniel and Rexlion like this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    That bears repeating, I think. :yes: The situation is becoming similar in the US, although the older 'die-hard RCs' who observe the official teaching have not all passed away yet.

What I ask myself is: how can a person who does not follow official RC doctrine think of himself a true RC? What is the point of holding allegiance to a religious system that one does not agree with? :hmm: I think that any RC who recognizes the problems with the papal hierarchy would greatly benefit by coming over to the Anglican side.

Othniel likes this.
  4. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Believe it or not, but it is possible.
    Then again: Who is a "true RC?"
    That is a bit like the question about the "true Scotsman".

5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Who gets to define what a "true RC" is? Does the individual get to set his own definition, or is true Roman Catholicism defined by the institutional Roman Catholic Church?

Can one be a true RC without believing all of the fundamental dogmas of the RCC? My answer would be "no." Taking myself as an example, since I was baptized and confirmed in the RCC I could theoretically return to attending a RC parish, but I would not be a true RC. Why not? For one thing, I do not believe this RC Dogma: "A just man merits for himself through each good work an increase of sanctifying grace, eternal life (if death finds him in the state of grace) and an increase in heavenly glory." Nor do I believe the following Dogmas: "The Pope possesses full and supreme power of jurisdiction over the whole Catholic Church, not merely in matters of faith and morals, but also in Church discipline and in the government of the Church;" and, "The Pope is infallible when he speaks ex cathedra;" and, "In the final decision on doctrines concerning faith and morals, the Catholic Church is infallible." Nor do I believe the Dogma that "Membership of the [Roman] Catholic Church is necessary for all men for salvation." Failure to believe any single one of the RC Dogmas would disqualify me from being a true RC; I would consider myself, and the RCC itself would consider me, to be an untrue RC or a pretender.

"With faith urging us we are forced to believe and to hold the one, holy, Catholic Church and that, apostolic, and we firmly believe and simply confess this (Church) outside which there is no salvation nor remission of sin . . . Furthermore, we declare, say, define and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff." (Unam Sanctum, Pope Boniface VIII, A.D. 1302)

PDL and Othniel like this.
  6. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Good question.
    I don't.

7. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion: