How frequent should you attend mass?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Peregine, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I attend on each Sunday and the Days of Obligation. I also do my rosary nightly, along with prayer in the AM and in the PM.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Watching online is so very different from attending in person (which includes fellowship with other like-minded believers and, hopefully, involvement in a volunteer capacity). I went through a period like that (not attending church) for several years myself, but when I found my current parish I also found that I wanted to attend! I hope you can find a place where you feel so much at home, you look forward to attending.

Lowly Layman, DavidT and Br. Thomas like this.
  3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

That would be a blessing

4. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    @Lowly Layman , I wonder if there's any connection between your universalist leanings and your feelings of dissatisfaction with church services? Either you were attending a universalist congregation and their worship (influenced by universalism) is unsatisfying, or you were attending a more orthodox (Anglican?) service and were off-put by the attention drawn to man's sinful nature and his need of faith and repentance? Just wondering, because I know it can grate on a person (both consciously and subconsciously) if they keep hearing things they don't like or agree with in church services. Being away from church for 3 years.... something was (is?) bothering you, apparently.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Wrong on both counts @Rexlion . My views on Universalism never really came up. While my issues with TEC's passionate entanglement with modernism and moral relativism have been well documented on these forums over the years, COVID was the final straw for me. For more than a year there was no in-person service to speak of, then there was some unseemly drive-thru communion nonsense and then when the doors were opened it was made very clear only vaccinated people could attend. As I am unvaccinated, I was not welcome at the altar even as restrictions eased, so I saw little point in attending... and one can only be called heartless, reckless, and a murderer so many times before I get the hint that I'm not welcome.

I am actually quite fond of orthodox services that stress faith and repentence. I log in to St. John's Church, Savannah each Sunday and watch remotely since I cant travel there in person. It is beautiful and orthodox and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a streaming service.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgPq-vPS7Oakh5eLji0z0OQ

Rexlion likes this.
  6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    According to Anglo Catholic, I would assume "Whenever possible" it seems they are so obsessed with 'Mass' and nothing much else that they have 'Masses' morning, noon and night. In the Middle ages they even paid priests to do it practically non stop.

I attend Eucharist / (Communion) frequently. Mostly week by week but occasionally, because my parish church is the type of church it is, also sometimes, (but very rarely), during the week as well.

Having the choice, I would never attend "Mass". I hate the very sound of the word and know its derivation. It stinks of Roman Catholicism.

Eucharist means Thanksgiving. I give thanks for the salvation Christ has won for us all as we gather with him, in the Spirit, round his table.

"Mass" means "Now clear off all of you, I've just done what was necessary for your salvation, now go out into the world and get on with being a disciple of Jesus Christ, but you'd better come back next week for me to do it all again for you or your salvation might be at risk.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    Rexlion likes this.
  7. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I think I'd feel the same as you, then, since I would experience the same negative feedback as you have. It's a pity there are no alternatives close to your home, such as an ACNA or REC church.

If you lived near Tulsa, you'd find a hearty welcome (and no recriminations about vaxx status) at the ACNA parish I attend. Nor would you find modernism or moral relativism here.

8. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I go once a week to Mass and Bible studies twice a week and 1 Bible study

Br. Thomas likes this.
  9. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican