Horrible struggles wont end despite prayer. Am I rebelling?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Kenmtb, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Kenmtb

Kenmtb New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello from upstate NY.
    The past few years have been a struggle to onboard with tech jobs outside my skillset (Not many jobs to apply to). Not to get into detail but I have prayed to be guided to suitable work and given thanks when new work is found.

Each job is a repeat of trying hard to understand a flood of new information and not gaining traction. In fact it seems like a pile of thorns have been placed at each step! I blame MYSELF for not meeting the challenge but things keep going ridiculously wrong.

Is it possible I am not obediently following GOD's plan, is this punishment or could this be a test?
    How would you know?
    Thank you and sorry whining.
    Ken

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Whenever things seem the opposite of Matt.11:30 it may be the other fella that's giving you a hard time, not the one whose yoke is easy and his burden light. Every job can get on top of the best of us and that requires serious thought about whether we are suffering from square ped in round hole-itis or it's time to move on and up into the higher calling of our Lord. I imagine St Paul got fed up with tent making for a living but he knew it was wise to have a trade and earn an honest living so he persevered at what he had been trained for. God cannot guide us unless we are willing to make decisions for ourselves and take full responsibility for the consequences. A ship becalmed cannot steer in any direction at all. A ship under way, even if going in a wrong direction can be steered onto the right course by the helmsman. Choose a job that suits your skill set and fulfills your ambitions. Worry about if it's the one God wants you in after you've done everything you could to get the job you have the qualifications for. Place youself at God's disposal and ask him to use you, then believe He will. If you need more or different qualifications try to get them and then go after the job you want. God doesn't really care if you are a fisherman or a tax man in the grand scheme of things. God just wants you to be available for anyone who needs your assistance, 24/7 however you earn your living.

Kenmtb likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think that the first thing to recognise is that the rate of change in our age has reached a level that makes it difficult to keep up. In a sense all you can say is 'welcome to the treadmill'. This is a reality of the situation in which we find ourselves. We are the people who have to forget more so we can create space to learn more. We have confronted not simply the advent of new technology, and not simply the exodus of some technology, but technology whose advent and exodus happens within a much short period of space.

I recall what a great advance it was when I got my first fax machine, and what a relief it was to bin it when we moved beyond that technology. The things that helped carry us forward have to be released as they become anchors to hold us back.

None of this is personally aimed at you are me, it is simply the result of the industry of human kind to find 'better' ways of doing things.

My approach: Take a deep breath. Decide to address things in bite size chunks that you can handle, rather than devouring the whole moutain in a single mouthful. Focus on what you are good at, and reduce you concern about things that do not interest you.

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.​

Kenmtb and Shane R like this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Perhaps it's time to change industries. Some jobs can be learned quickly. For example, truck driving school takes 6-8 weeks. Police academy is about the same.

I know right well it is intimidating, and frustrating, to start over but it's increasingly common in American society.

Kenmtb likes this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I have to say, Shane has a point. The demand for over-the-road truck drivers is astronomical at this time.

Be that as it may, my advice is to keep looking as you have been looking, but to also pray: ask the Holy Spirit to give you direction, and from that time on, whenever it comes to mind, simply praise Him and thank Him. The Lord knows you need to work so you can eat (and everything else), so rest in Him: take refuge 'in the shadow of His wings'.
    Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
    Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

I had a business I'd started, selling parts to farmers in Michigan. The Lord led us to move 1,000 miles to OK, not knowing what work I would do there. We put our trust in God to show us the way. It was 2.5 months of looking for work and thanking Him in advance for the answer. Until one day my eyes fell on a particular job listing, and I felt a 'leap' on the inside. I applied and was hired on the spot. 30 years later, I'm still doing what the Lord put my hands to do all those years ago.... well, except for one year when I had the bright idea to try teaching 7th Grade Math, and God was gracious enough to let me make my mistake :doh: and then return to where I belonged! :sweating:

See, we can trust in our Lord for more than just eternal life in the sweet bye and bye. He's with you, right now. :) Tell Him you'll let Him help, and keep doing what you know to do until He shows you the open door; you'll feel peace about it, and it will work out.

Kenmtb likes this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Not for me to give anyone career advice, but it does seem that construction workers, sanitation workers, plumbers, electricians, are making 60k+... meanwhile programmers and such can struggle because those in other countries can do similar jobs

Kenmtb likes this.
  7. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi friend. I also work in tech, and am happy to offer you some advice and maybe even some firms to apply to. If you want to send me a personal message with your current skills and what roadblocks you're hitting on new technologies you're trying to learn I might be able to help.

Rexlion likes this.
  8. Kenmtb

Kenmtb New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Wow, thank you for the wonderful replies. There is a lot to digest. There is a lot of discussion about faith and submitting. The only thing is I am not sure what to submit to. There seems to be no spiritual guidance filtering through. If the Lord said stop everything and become a xxxxxxxxx, I would do it in a heartbeat. Even after prayer, there are events at work that are almost surreal. Actually the whole team seems to be in the same boat. It is hard to describe.
    Thanks