Head coverings for women

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by anglican74, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Brigid

Brigid Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutheran/Anglican
    I remember my grandmother pinning a tissue on my head once in the 60s to go to church (Episcopalian) when I had forgotten my hat.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Active Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Almost the epitome of legalistic religion?

3. Brigid

Brigid Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutheran/Anglican
    I am one who thinks women should cover, but don't think it should be mandated. Since it was spoken of by Paul I don't think it should be dismissed like it is now days, but neither do I think it was intended to go so far as wearing tissue on your head.:doh:

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Active Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I quite agree. I would say that a similar attitude is held by the CofE on the issue of confession. All may, some should, none must.

5. Desiring God

Desiring God New Member

Religion:
    Anabaptist
    I have covered for going on 9 years :)
    I am only hoping that when I start this new Episcopal Church near me they do not look oddly at me like the Southern baptist Church did :/

6. Brigid

Brigid Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutheran/Anglican

I really doubt that they will.

7. Ralph Davis

Ralph Davis New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Christian (REC)
    You bring up a very good point, in using Tradition, the practices & beliefs of those past, to help interpret scripture for us now. Hooker's order of authority is: Scripture, Reason and Tradition. (Often mistakenly ordered, Scripture, Tradition and Reason.) So far the only arguments here have been Scripture and Reason, with Tradition being cavalierly ignored. This isn't wise, as in the communion of the saints, this generation is no more than say, 2% of the Church.

What I'm saying is you are correct, until the 1960s, and still in certain Tradition-heavy churches outside the West, around the world, head-coverings for women during worship was expected--in that they interpreted Paul's instructions in 1 Cor. 11 as not merely reflecting culture, but forming culture.

So 98% of Christians historically have had head-coverings for women, and that was 100%....until the advent of feminism in the West. If anyone thinks that the relationships between the sexes in the West today are exemplary--with a 50% divorce rate and incredible confusion & perversion about all things sexual--well, they should go ahead and ignore the Apostle Paul on this subject--and regard his clear instructions as just so much cultural quaintness.

Brigid and Stalwart like this.
  8. Theistgal

Theistgal New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Byzantine Catholic
    Every so often, I wear a scarf to church. Then I realize that I'm not really wearing it for the right reasons, but to show off how much more "traditional" I am than all those *other* women in church. (Pharisee and Publican Alert! :D ) At that point, I take it off.

IMHO the whole point of wearing head coverings in church was so women *wouldn't* be noticed. However, since the culture has changed so much, it's now just the opposite: women who cover their heads *are* noticed. Is that really what we want? I personally would rather just slink into a pew and pray without attracting any undue attention.

Brigid, Tiffy and Botolph like this.
  9. Tiffy

Tiffy Active Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    A good point really. Jesus didn't make efforts to 'fit in', but neither, judging from his popularity with the people, did he make any strenuous efforts not to fit in either, but he certainly was critical of people who 'do things purely for effect and to appear more righteous than others'.

Theistgal likes this.
  10. Niblo

Niblo New Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    There are no such folk as 'Mohammedans'. The word is 'Muslims'.

Have a great day.

11. Niblo

Niblo New Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    I was born - and raised - in the Rhondda; and first attended Chapel in 1951. In our small area there were Baptists, Methodists, Anglicans and Catholics. Women from all of these groups worn hats, or scarves, in the Chapels. Catholic women also wore headgear...and the Italians among them added netted veils. Men did not wear hats while at worship, but always when going to, or from, Chapel or Church. This custom continued well into the eighties, but less so among younger worshippers...except the Catholics. Headgear was an essential part of one's Sunday Best. Decline in formal dress came hand-in-hand with decline in worship...in the case of my neck of the woods, serious decline.