Have Anglicans gone Lutheran on Lord's Supper?

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Lowly Layman, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This does not contradict what we're saying that Jesus now has a heavenly body. Obviously it's still a human body but it's a heavenly human body. It is not like what he had before his resurrection.

Yes. Are you saying this somehow disproves the view that Jesus now has a heavenly body?

Quoting from a pro-transubstantialist. Cool, cool.

Doesn't contradict us even for a second.

Again doesn't contradict us even for a bit. Are you saying that I wouldn't assert that Jesus now, in his resurrected state, has flesh and blood? Of course I would, every minute of every hour. But the question is, what kind of flesh and blood does he have? This your quotes do not address (except from Aquinas, who is for transubstantiation and therefore irrelevant).

Yes of course it is flesh and blood. But it is heavenly flesh and blood. It is not fleshy flesh and blood. It is not mortal flesh and blood. It is supernatural flesh and blood, not natural flesh and blood. As St. Paul says:

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
    — 1 Corinthians 10:1 (KJV)​

You might benefit from this article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_body

Spiritual body
    In Christianity, the apostle Paul introduced the concept of the spiritual body (Koine Greek: sōma pneumatikos) in the New Testament (1 Corinthians 15:44), describing the resurrection body as "spiritual" (pneumatikos) in contrast to the natural (psychikos) body:

So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
    — 1 Corinthians 15:42-44, NIV

Christian teaching traditionally interprets Paul as comparing the resurrection body with the mortal body, saying that it will be a different kind of body; a "spiritual body", meaning an immortal body, or incorruptible body (15:53—54).

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Tiffy likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I agree with Stalwart that whatever "flesh" Jesus now has, it's not the same type we have. Our flesh is made of cells that die off and get replaced, that require constant nourishment, and that eventually will rot & decay. Jesus' eternal flesh is not bound by entropy, it needs no cellular energy or oxygen, it produces no waste products, and it will never decay.

We will be given bodies like His, too. And when we eat and drink (for pleasure, since we won't need that sort of sustenance), I doubt there will be any byproducts to expel; in the new heavens & earth there will be new physical laws at work, and I think the ingested materials will simply disappear from within us.

If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to drop by the houses of @Invictus and @Stalwart to take a dump in each of their bathrooms, and admit I was mistaken. :cheers:

I mean, would heaven really be heaven if we still have to clean up dog piles on our front lawns? :laugh:

Tiffy likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
    1Co 15:53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.

Tiffy likes this.