Gardening

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by bwallac2335, Sep 5, 2021.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    This kind of came up in another thread. Who all gardens and what do they garden? I typically do a large garden upwards of 2-3 acres. This includes all my fruit and nut trees plus the veggie garden. This year, because of the birth of the newborn, I cut down on the veggie garden.

These are the fruit tree and bushes I have
    30ish blueberry bushes.
    10-13 domesticated black berry bushes
    Lots of wild blackberries that I cultivate and take care of
    2-Tayberries
    1-Boysenberry
    3- Rasperries
    3-Mulberries
    7-Figs
    3-pecans
    7-Chestnuts
    6-apples
    3-plums
    3-pears
    1-peach
    3-pomagranates
    1-olive tree
    Oh and 1.5 raised beds of strawberries

Not everything is of production age yet and not every thing is doing particularly well but for the most part the berries are thriving and some the figs are. I could care less about the peach tree and the olive tree has to be in a very unique micro climate to do well around here.

I also have to composts.One for the trees and bushes and one for the garden raised beds. I also mulch and I will add some store bought soil if need be. I also have 4 yard chickens. The chickens are in a moveable coop that keeps them on fresh grass about every two days

Carolinian likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Growing up, we lived in farm country and had a huge garden. Now my wife and I live in the city, the lot is too small to do much and the heavy clay soil isn't too great, plus the chickens will eat almost anything they can get their beaks on. So, no garden at this time. I miss the fresh peas, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, etc. Oh, and feasting on Bartlett pears in the fall! But I don't miss hoeing it all and picking potato bugs off the leaves. :p

3. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    To much concrete depresses me. I live about ten minutes outside the nearest city of me

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I live about 4 miles outside of town now myself. I'm still thinking about what I want to do with the half acre of property I've got. I bought 3 large blueberry bushes. All of my planting this year was in pots. Dad kept my strawberries at his house while I was moving. I've got 2 different kinds. One only produces for 4-5 weeks and the other chugs along all summer.

I've got cucumbers and peppers coming in. I planted one Tabasco pepper plant and it is growing dozens of peppers and they are flaming hot. My watermelon vine just decided it would grow some watermelons a couple of weeks ago so it's the end of summer and I've just now got 3 little watermelons on the vine.

A local village has a community garden by the municipal pool. I've picked blackberries and nectarines 4 or 5 times. Concord grapes are coming in right now. I give my daughters fruit and cheese for a snack nearly every day. We live one county South of Amish country so there is some excellent cheese to be had.

And you don't have to drive more than a mile or 2 to find someone selling sweet corn, tomatoes, and brown eggs in their front yard or driveway. Although I'm going to get the girls some chickens soon. Rural King has black Australorps for a dollar right now. I need to build a coop.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  5. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Oh yeah forgot my grapes and kiwi's. I wish I lived near Amish country. I bet they have all kinds of great heirloom seeds.

Shane R likes this.
  6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My older daughter told me I should make grape jelly. I've never made jelly before but I do have some clean canning jars.

Wine is more my speed. I've made many a gallon of wine in my day.

7. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Not sure if I asked this before, but are you by any chance the lawallac on blf?

8. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    No. What is blf ?

9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Jelly is easy or at least Jam is

10. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Budget Light Forum. The person who goes by lawallac (from WI) has an incredible slew of flashlights. But then, so do I. I'm definitely a flashaholic, ;) although my consumption has dropped off a lot lately.

bwallac2335 likes this.