Frequency of the Mass

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by A Garden Gnome, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You were writing about multiple communion services on the same day. Here's a relevant rubric from the 1928 BCP:
    If in any Church the Holy Communion be twice celebrated on Easter Day, the following Collect, Epistle, and Gospel may be used at the first Communion.
    That's found in the section of Propers for the Church year.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  2. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Thank you for catching this. Thus it seems we can say that the common Episcopalian practice of a said service followed by a choral Eucharist is fully allowed, although I do wish they would do matins instead, and simply apply that canon literally and with strictness rather than economy (so that two Eucharists, like in the Syriac Orthodox Church, are only allowed on Pascha).

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was researching something totally different, but I happened to notice the rubric I mentioned above is applied in exactly the same language to Christmas Day.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  4. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Are these words, as they might say regarding the 1662 book, “statutory”? Or rather, the American equivalent, are these rubrics in the standard edition? It might be worth looking into whether any changes drifted into the 1928 service as happened with the 1662.

5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    All this 'more than one communion per day' stuff is getting away from the point a bit though don't you think?

There are now many churches in the Anglican Communion which hold several services of communion every Sunday, simply because different times are convenient to different parisioners and also that the potential congregations could fit into the church building at a single service. Most Anglican churches had both an 08:00 said BCP communion and a 10:00 or 11:00 sung Eucharist and Evening prayer or Evensong at 18:00 or thereabouts.

The issue though is about the frequency of an individual receiving multiple times on the same day, not the frequency of individual services of communion. The persons most likely to receive multiple times are the priest, and the church's ancilliary staff. I have decided that it simply does not matter how many times once receives in a single day. Frequency does not affect efficacy in the least.

Rexlion likes this.
  6. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    No not really.

Indeed, and while this is not inadmissable, the current trend of having lots of communion services at different times, some said, some choral, some with a rock band which is surely uncanonical and against the rubrics, and if not, ought to be considered as such (we can invoke the Calvinist Regulatory principle here to flush them out while keeping the organs and a few other instruments thanks to the Laudatory Psalms (148-150), coincides with the disappearance of evensong and mattins, especially the kind of splendid Sunday Mattins one historically would expect, and has managed to reverse the main accomplishment of Anglicanism which was to restore the congregational participation of the Divine Office into the Western Rite outside of monasteries and cathedral churches. Today, if you are an Anglican, even in a conservative Continuuing Congregation, unless you are someplace where the clergy are monastic or are referred to as The Reverend Canon, you are unlikely to have a weekly choral Evensong, still less likely to find the Litany or choral Mattins except intermixed with Ante Communion in low church parishes of extreme traditionalism, which I like, but in any event your best chance of hearing choral evensong these days is to listen to BBC Radio Three.

Actually I have seen the case made that the wireless was responsible for the decay of evensong, but that is debateable, after all, televangelists did nothing to hinder brick and mortar evangelists.

The past tense of what you correctly assert is the tragedy, and is worthy of much bewailing, for something great has been lost, which had only been restored with the military might of the Tudors and their heirs and successors and with much regrettable loss of life including that of most of the compilers of the original BCP editions themselves at the end of the reign of King Edward VI.

I do not object to churches serving, on different altars, multiple communion services, but it seems to me irreverant to the sacrament to allow a priest to officiate twice in the same liturgical day where this can be avoided while maintaining reasonable pastoral care. But it should be warned that we cross into a clericalist realm (I might add that in some respects I would call myself an unrepentant clericalist and in other respects take a less clericalist interpretation based on the common condition of fallen humanity and the mutually sanctifying effect of baptism, but that is a more complex discussiom), if there is one rule for the laity and one for the faithful.

So it would seem to me fitting to say that any priest and any parish in churches following the 1928 American book ought never to preside nor communicate more than twice per day, and further seek to limit themselves personally to one service and one communion wherever possible. Or more generally, at all times except the feasts of the Nativity and Pascha and perhaps Pentecost (that is to say, Christmas, Easter and Whitsunday).

7. Brigid

Brigid Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    AngloCatholic
    I have not found any rules as to how many times/day that a congregant may receive the Eucharist in the LCMS, however I personally feel that as many times as I can are enough. I definitely need all the Grace that He can give!

8. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    It was my understanding Cranmer and others (a la Calvin) hoped for weekly Holy Communion.