Formula of Holy Subscription

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Admin, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Welcome, friend :)

2. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Read this in earnest last night and is perfectly expressed. Has everyone who has assented a member of the Church of England? What considerations are there for G3 Americans (the Anglican Catholic Church, the Anglican Province of America and the Anglican Church in America collectively as part of the Continuing Anglican Movement) who affirmed Anglican orthodoxy at the St. Louis Congress (1977) and are authorized to express (in addition to those noted in the Subscription) their faith via the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, a direct descendant and most consistent version thereof of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer?

Specifically, can the subscription be modified if limited only in (1) the year of the Prayer Book and (2) the corresponding Church name? I respect the principles of this forum and those who have faithfully subscribed; I don’t want to unilaterally amend anything for purposes of membership that is inconsistent thereto.
    upload_2023-7-9_8-22-23.jpeg

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I imagine the admin will chime in with an answer, but let me say that the main reason for doing this is to get the "Anglican badge" to appear on your posts below your name and avatar. No, not all who have the badge are CoE; many are in the US. I sort of doubt they'll agree to a modified formula for this forum badge, but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask like you did.

Personally, I don't care to subscribe because (knowing what I believe and say) at some point they'd probably find reason in some of my posts to take the badge away! :laugh: You may have noticed by now that a couple of forum members think I'm too Protestant to be an Anglican.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

The purpose of the oath is to point all of us Anglicans out of tribal enclaves which have recently developed, and back to historic orthodoxy and a unified Anglican identity. If the G3 standards are conformant to historic orthodoxy, then affirming the latter would automatically affirm the G3 standards as well.

5. Pub Banker

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Thank you, Rex.

6. Pub Banker

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    To refer back to Archbishop Fisher, the Anglican is not a “new faith” and has only the “Catholic Faith of the ancient Catholic Church, as preserved in the Catholic Creeds and maintained in the Catholic and Apostolic constitution of Christ’s Church from the beginning.” In as such, the Anglican Province of America (APA) is a branch of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church instituted by Jesus Christ. The APA along with other distinct jurisdictions that comprise the G3 are members of the Continuing Movement which faithfully commits to maintaining the historic Catholic faith in the Anglican tradition across its parishes. We do not, however, use the 1662 BCP. Although I personally find it beautiful in all aspects for worship and have never questioned the validity of the sacraments administered from the same, we G3 members just don’t use it. Furthermore, I can’t assent to the Church of England as I am not a member. Absent those two things (the 1662 BCP and the Church of England), do I subscribe to all of the rest? Absolutely. Does the same make me less Anglican in the eyes of some for the purposes of forum? Perhaps but of course I humbly disagree. Because I am not a theologian or a minister of my faith but a mere layman I am not trained to debate this issue. I am simply one who fervently tries to live and practice the fullness of the Christian Faith in its unique Catholic form in the English tradition and a firm advocate of the principals advocated in the forum’s Subscription.

I will, as long as allowed, continue to participate in the Forum. I enjoy the company, the discussion and its principles.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  7. Admin

But are you Anglican? What is it that makes you an Anglican, today in the present (as opposed to having come out of Anglicanism some time in the past)?

8. Pub Banker

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    I left the Episcopal Church after 59 years. I didn’t change; they did. I don’t how to explain it other than my previous post. Short of a catechism of sorts, may I ask for the forum’s definition?

9. Admin

As far as this site is concerned, an Anglican is someone who conforms to the historic orthodoxy. You don’t have to actually use the 1662 BCP, just conform to the theology contained therein.

Br. Thomas and Pub Banker like this.
  10. Pub Banker

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    As it contains the holy formulas of our religion: The Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian Creeds; the Articles of Religion, sacred Anglican Rites and Rituals, the Church Catechism, and exhorts the Homilies;

I, Pub Banker, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England and its American counterpart, the 1928 Book , titled The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of the Anglican Province of America together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    Br. Thomas likes this.
  11. Admin

Welcome! :handshake:

12. Pub Banker

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Thank you, Admin.

13. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I thought you had to "assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer" and not just the theology?

14. Admin

Indeed, the two were meant as mutually convertible.

Pub Banker likes this.
  15. CalvinAndCranmer

CalvinAndCranmer New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Reformed Episcopal Church
    As it contains the holy formulas of our religion: The Apostles, Nicene and Athanasian Creeds; the Articles of Religion, sacred Anglican Rites and Rituals, the Church Catechism, and exhorts the Homilies;

I, CalvinAndCranmer, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

16. Wynd

Wynd New Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    I, Wynd, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

17. Admin

Welcome! Sorry for the delay, I guess everyone is out for the summer :shifty:

18. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican

I, David, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.

19. Admin

Welcome!

David likes this.
  20. Rami

Rami Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I, Rami, Do here declare my unfeigned assent, and consent to all, and every thing contained, and prescribed in, and by the 1662 Book intituled, The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments, and other Rites, and Ceremonies of the Church, according to the use of the Church of England, together with the Psalter, or Psalms of David, Pointed as they are to be sung, or said in Churches; and the form, or manner of making, ordaining, and consecrating of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons.