Epiphany Reflections

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Jeff F, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    This is a day/season that I truly celebrate, not that the others are merely perfunctory, but this season is a time for reflection on times past..........without Christ. Although raised by godly parents and in church, my heart was miles away from God and His teachings for many years, but I soon found I could not escape His presence. As I searched, ran, and wrestled with God, I quickly discovered that my own philosophies would soon lead to a dark and lonely dead end, but at the end of that road was Jesus. He had come in the flesh to experience and teach humanity the truths of heaven, leaving behind (temporarily) His position and glory, all to establish a close relationship with his children. Today as I depart for church, I know He is again waiting to share His word and sacrament with little old me! :think:

BTW, a merry Christmas to our Eastern Orthodox family on the Julian calender!
    Jeff+

Stalwart, Lowly Layman and Celtic1 like this.
  2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Per the thread's owner, thread is moved to the Church and Community section.

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Jeff F., Epiphany is the true Christmas in my opinion.

What I love most about this feast day is that, upon Christ's appearing to all the nations of the world (the Baptism in the Jordan being the ancient focus of Epiphany), the GOD lays down the warlike title of "Lord of Hosts", and now calls Himself the "Father of our Lord Jesus Christ", or the "God of Peace", or the Father of "My Beloved Son" - of whom we are made members, and so His children, and so inheritors of His Kingdom. War, armour, terror, and fear have had their time - now is the era where we know God firstly as Father, Peace, Love, and Mercy, because of the events of this day of rejoicing!

I was just remarking to the Anglican bishop who received me on Sunday, that there were probably zero people of Jewish ancestry in church that day - so the very solemnity we were celebrating was the cause of our being Christian!

Epiphany is the very heart of Christianity, before Easter.

Jeff F and Stalwart like this.