Does the Anglican Community know name days?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Silvan, Jul 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    That's fine, and if I had grown up in Poland or Slovakia I would no doubt celebrate name days, too. I simply was not raised to know anything about name days, let alone to treasure them. I am two generations removed from that knowledge.

It is not a matter of any "two-class system." This thought perplexes and puzzles me, because I see no logical reason for such a conclusion. The matter is as simple as this: you asked us whether we know about and celebrate name days, we replied that we do not. Why we do not is because of lack of familiarity and lack of interest, and it has nothing to do with classes or superiority attitudes.

If you had asked whether we've heard of your favorite brand of beer and if none of us had heard of it, would you take offense? Would you assume that we think we are 'too good' to drink the beer you like? I certainly hope not. That is an analogous situation to the subject of this thread, at least insofar as how we perceive it.

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Is it really true that in Germany they do not hold the birthdays in high esteem?

3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Eastern Orthodox in the U.S. celebrate name days, which generally coincide with one’s patron saint’s feast day.

4. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't understand how you've come to this conclusion. I have not read any hostility or aggression in anyone's responses to you - indifference is not supposed to be insulting, it's supposed to be honest.

People first came to Australia from Africa, like everyone at some point, around 60,000 years ago. They're the oldest people in the world and predate name days by several ages. I don't know if they came from the moon first, but I would presume not. Since European convicts came to Australia, presumably at the point where name days were not celebrated because Anglicans at that time weren't big fans of venerating saints, we've had a wealth of people from all over the world make their home here. From China in the gold rush, Vietnam and Lebanon after their wars, and more recently from India and the Arab world. We're a melting pot of cultures - Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, and most significantly Atheist. Short of the Greek and Italian immigrants after World War II, I don't imagine there's been any time where name days could have been introduced, and its expressly Christian theme means it wouldn't have been received well by the subtle religious culture of post federation Australia.

It's not an anti-European sentiment that resulted in us doing away with a Christian tradition you treasure, it's just never been introduced en mass. Those that bring the tradition with them from Catholic Europe on a small scale are quickly consumed and assimilated into the dominant culture within one generation. I imagine it's the same for all the other countries.

Othniel and Invictus like this.
  5. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I really do not see why the topic of name days seems so very exotic to you, just because you have never heard of it.
    "Name Days" are no stupid regional habit of some old peasants in the Black Forest.

They are known in lots of countries worldwide - also in Latin America.

They are no funny German speciality.

6. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    So some know about name days, after all.

Invictus likes this.
  7. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I did not say that.
    In Germany the birthday is normally more important than the name day.
    The sentence that I quoted was coined in defence of the name days.

8. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I would not compare the topic of name days with the topic of some regional beer brewery.

9. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
  10. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Find out the date of your nameday celebration

https://themeaningofthename.com/name-day-calendar/

So in case you know anyone called Camille or Camilla or Kamila, you can congratulate them! :clap::buba::tiphat::wub:

11. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    So for a typical German, they would celebrate the birthday, and then also the name day?.. that feels just a little self-indulgent, celebrating yourself twice.. maybe hence the reservation people feel?

12. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    It's only self-indulgent if no one else does it. If everyone does it, that's different.

Silvan likes this.
  13. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I can only speak for myself.
    I don't really "celebrate" anything.

Birthday: My wife and I have a meal in a restaurant - and some wine.
    Name Day: I just think of it. Maybe I buy some better food than usual.

No parties on either day.

Invictus likes this.
  14. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Nonsense.
    There may be birthday parties.
    But I have never heard of name day parties.

One just KNOWS: "It is may name day today".
    Contrary to those on the forum who seem to be downright proud of not knowing anything about those strange name days.
    Just as if this ignorance was some positive achievement.

Invictus likes this.
  15. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I seriously doubt that anyone here is "downright proud" of lack of familiarity with this custom. But I am getting the impression that you are "downright proud" of your knowledge and appreciation of that custom. It is fine if you are, but I have no idea why you're making such a big deal about it. There is nothing in the Bible or in essential Anglican beliefs that call on us to adopt a custom of observing name days.

What does the Bible say?
    Col 2:16-17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

16. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Lots of things that we do are not mentioned in the Bible.

Invictus likes this.
  17. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I don't think everything has to be reduced to whatever is contained in "essential Anglican beliefs".

Silvan likes this.
  18. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I am not proud, but was just trying to add to the conversation…

19. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    No, but we don't need to be hit over the head with some new custom, as if we're all supposed to run to it and eagerly adopt it. Especially when the Bible tells us that festival days are no big deal, and that no one should hold it against us or judge us when we don't honor festival days the way some people honor these 'name days.' I don't appreciate the attitude I've been seeing, the suggestions that we're being simultaneously ignorant and proud of our ignorance.
    As far as I'm concerned, the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill and being insulting to boot. Why are you now taking his side?

anglican74, Silvan and Invictus like this.
  20. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I'm not taking anyone's side. I just happen to be familiar with the custom and have offered my own comments as the conversation has unfolded. Isn't that what we're supposed to do here?

Silvan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.