Do you support open communion?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Dallas Rivera, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Dallas Rivera

Dallas Rivera New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Open communion is receiving Eucharist without baptism. As communion is a sacrament, in accordance with church tradition, I say it should be reserved for the baptized. What are your thoughts on open communion?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Of course not!...

Magistos, Andy, Aidan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hi, in the first place I think you are redefining the term, which traditionally means that communicant members (and therefore baptised members) of other Christian Traditions are invited or specifically not excluded from receiving the blessed sacrament. The practice is entirely in conformity with what we say in the Nicene Creed we believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. It affirms the commitment to the principle of 1 Church, 1 Baptism, 1 Faith, 1 Lord.

Baptism, is the primary rite of entry to the life of Christ we share in the Holy Sacrament, so in that sense communicating the unbaptised would have to be understood as an alien practice.

DivineOfficeNerd, Rhys and Magistos like this.
  4. Dallas Rivera

Dallas Rivera New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Please pardon my misunderstanding. Thank you for your correction.

Botolph likes this.
  5. Achilles Smith

Achilles Smith Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    agreed

Aidan likes this.
  6. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    No, communicants should be baptized.

Achilles Smith and Aidan like this.
  7. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    The traditional Anglican thought required both Baptism and Confirmation prior to receiving the Blessed Sacrament. We must not come to Christ unworthily, but must first examine ourselves and of course, be members of his Holy Church. Anything else desecrates the Sacrament.

8. Ide

Ide Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    No, I don't think that it should be open. The reason for this is not to exclude people, but to help them understand and respect what the Christian life and Eucharist is truly about. I think we should also follow the wisdom of the early church who understood that it takes time to truly understand all of the benefits and responsibilities involved with the Christian life. I think spiritual discipline is good. The Didiache states:

But let none eat or drink of your Eucharist except those who have been baptised in the Lord's Name. For concerning this also did the Lord say, "Give not that which is holy to the dogs."

So this teaching goes very far back into the churches past. It's not a new invention and not for us to change.

However, I have read of persons who were not baptized or prepared to received communion and found it totally transformative and led to their conversion. I think that God touches everyone who takes communion as it is the true Body and Blood of Jesus, but it is important for the church to maintain it's structure and order to benefit of all. For individuals who have benefited from communing outside the parameters set by the church, it is a way to help them meet Christ and align with the deeper meaning of the Eucharist they first found.

DivineOfficeNerd likes this.
  9. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Open Communion with non-baptised people should not be practiced. Thinking about what St. Paul said about receiving unworthily, which was quoted in the Prayer Book's Third Exhortation, I think its quite clear that lack of faith sits alongside unrepentant sin as conditions that could make receiving the Eucharist a dangerous activity for the recipient.

Open Communion between different denominations however would be eminently desirable and would put an end to the petty elitism of groups that claim that only they have a "valid" Eucharist.

DivineOfficeNerd and Botolph like this.
  10. newsoul

newsoul New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I for one do not think Christ would have turned away anyone from his table however I feel communion without baptism is less meaningful to the person receiving it