Do you like the use of the Latin language in churches?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Silvan, Jul 18, 2021.

?

Do you like the use of the Latin language in churches?

1. yes

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. it all depends

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    And?

2. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    As a straightforward answer to the direct meaning of the question the answer is yes.

However, I voted: It depends. I like listening to Latin Gregorian chant. I also prefer men's voices. I don't like all women's voices. I have no idea why because all women's voices using any other of form of music I do not find disagreeable. I also like Latin because sometimes English just does not fit with the music if the music was original composed for the Latin text.

I would not like the liturgy celebrated entirely in Latin. I like to know what I am saying and what the clergy are saying, even if God can understand any human language.

I am learning Latin so perhaps once I am fluent I won't mind if the liturgy is celebrated entirely in Latin:D. However, I know of nowhere I'd get that. I know of a community of Anglican nuns who often chant Vespers in Latin but they're too far away and I'm not sure if their chapel is open to the public.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian

Exactly- knowledge and common use make a world of difference. I took Latin courses in university and try to maintain my knowledge with reading, Duolingo, etc. Would I be opposed to a liturgy in Latin entirely, no- it would be a historically and linguistically relevant time of worship! Would the same be applicable for most people who are unfamiliar and can only say, "oh that's neat, but I don't understand?" Of course not!

4. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    With respect, that is being obtuse to my argument, or you neglected my first post on page 1. You're right, no one is talking about forcing anyone to attend church services in a language they don't understand, including me.

I said that most people that like Latin services do not understand the Latin service as well as they do the service in their native language. They don't need to be compelled to go to make a decision based on pride. They want to attend, and want to be seen to attend, a service in Latin to serve their ego not their soul, which is a sin.

For the small number of people that attend a Latin service and get more out of it then a service in their native language, I like that those people can attend those services. That is not the norm.

Othniel likes this.
  5. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Interesting. Do you know this for a fact? If so, how?

PDL likes this.
  6. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
  7. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I know about twenty of the congregants in the only Church in my city that do their service in Latin. Not one of them can fluently speak Latin. Three of them cannot speak or read Latin in any capacity and have no interest in learning. This simply must be the case everywhere in at least the Anglo world, statistically speaking.

A quick google search indicates there are between one and three Anglo-Catholic or Roman Catholic churches in every major city in Australia that deliver their service in Latin. That implies to me somewhere between 1000-1500 congregants in Australia attend Latin Mass, just by some quick napkin math. These are big churches based on their online images so maybe the number is higher. There are four schools left in the country that teach Latin to a level that allows you to be admitted to read Classics at Oxford. I'm sure the classes are small. Basically all of them leave the country to study in the UK or the US. The Australian Bureau of Statistics say there are less than 100 functionally literate Latin readers/speakers in Australia, and that includes the clergy of these churches, and the teachers at these four schools.

The majority of the people attending Latin Mass in Australia are compromising themselves spiritually. I cannot possibly imagine New Zealand, or Canada, or the US has a higher per capita population of Latin speakers or a lower per capita population of Latin Mass congregants in a way that meaningfully alters this conclusion.

8. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Is it possible that many, or perhaps even most, of these people read the Ordinary of the Mass, the Collect, the Epistle, and Gospel in English, and then attend in Latin because
    (a) they appreciate the beauty,
    (b) wish to experience, according to their capacity, what the vast majority of Catholics throughout history have experienced, and/or
    (c) to avoid the silliness and banality that is often a feature of the Novus Ordo liturgy?

9. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    That is not evidence to support the assertion you made in post #44.

It was the norm in the Roman Catholic Church prior to Vatican II for most Roman Catholics (RCs) to not understand the language of their liturgy. It would be quite wrong to assume pre-Vatican II RCs were fluent in Latin. Their church teaches that you do not have to understand the language of the liturgy to be able to participate in the liturgy.

I have read in many places that those RCs who go to to the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite Mass do so not because of the Latin language. Their reasons for going are different and not all of them have the same reasons.

I cannot say for definite that there are no Anglo-Catholic churches in Australia that the celebrate liturgy in Latin. However, as an Anglo-Catholic I would be very surprised to learn this is true. I know of one Anglo-Catholic Church that celebrates Mass in Latin and it does so at a said Low Mass on one weekday each week but they're so high church they're almost stratospheric. Even the only Anglo-Catholic church I know that still uses the English Missal and celebrates all the rites of Holy Week in the morning as was the Catholic norm pre-1955 celebrate their liturgies in Englsih.

10. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    No. Some, naturally. Not many. Certainly not most.

Even if all three of those were true, none of them are good reasons to attend Latin Mass, not even (c). They should be attending the service that best helps them worship, not the service that is most beautiful. A beautiful service is a good thing. It should not come at the tradeoff of being a less effective service in the end object of salvation. They're putting wool in their ears before attending Church, they may as well be sitting on their phone, drunk or half asleep.

Othniel likes this.
  11. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I just do not believe you here.
    Maybe you just see what you want to see.

Have you many more things on your list which are sinful?
    Is that the idea of Jesus Christ: To spy on your brothers and maintain that they are sinners?

12. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You're almost certainly right. I was doing my research pretty hastily, and pulled my info on Latin Mass Aussie churches off this site: https://www.latinmassdir.org/country/au/. I didn't have time to check every one of those churches so just tried to catch-all by saying "Anglo-Catholic" too, but on a second look it's a Roman Catholic site, and so even if there is an Anglo-Catholic church that does a Latin service, it's not on that site.

PDL likes this.
  13. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I believe that is what many of them would say they are doing. You seem to me to be elevating a ‘didactic’ understanding of the liturgy above its other objectives. The primary purpose of liturgy is to praise God, not to learn something new each time one goes. And it is no honor to God to intentionally feign to praise him with ugliness in worship. That may turn out to be a graver matter than not knowing all the words.

14. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I just don't believe that an illegible Divine Service can excavate, crucify and resurrect our souls.

For that reason I agree with the original Latin church fathers who translated the Greek liturgies into their vernacular (latin). And with the Anglican reformers that translated the Latin liturgies into their vernacular (english).

On the other hand, a vernacular divine service doesn't automatically function as transcendent and supernatural either. So the vernacular liturgies have plenty of work left to do, to serve a transcendent function. Whereas in the latin liturgy, the transcendent function can be more easily had, sure.

But ultimately, a liturgy first and foremost needs to effect one's salvation, and not merely make one "feel" transcendent. A transcendent feeling is not sufficient to deem a liturgy a success.

Dave Kemp and Othniel like this.
  15. Invictus

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I think ultimately people get out of the liturgy what they're able to bring to it, or at least there is a direct connection between the two. A mere feeling of transcendence is not enough, I agree. But the proper intent (to worship God with all one's heart, mind, and strength), the requisite preparation, and the sense of heavenliness in what one is doing, when combined, are about all that can be asked for.

Stalwart likes this.
  16. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Now:

4 x yes
    3 x no

Invictus likes this.
  17. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

Illegibe? :hmm: :( :o:zipped: :confused:

18. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I blame the printers :D

Stalwart likes this.
  19. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    By the use of the mother-tongue, by the audibleness of every prayer, by the priest’s prayers being made identical with the prayers of the Congregation, by the part of the Clerks being taken by the people, by the removal of the invisible and inaudible ceremonial, the English Church, as one of her special works in the history of the Catholic Church, restored the ancient share and right of the people in Divine Service.’ [E. S. Roscoe: The Bishop of Lincoln’s Case, 1891, p. 144.]

20. Legion

Legion Member

Yes, but only because I did Latin in school and I like to think it is useful for something other than helping with French.

I like the Latin Mass. Although the last time I went the priest was rather daunted by the fact that I understood Latin and he didn't. I think he was rather cross about that. (And much else, tbh.)