Communicating with Atheists

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Toma, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    SK, what an amazing story!

One reason I found Christ so objectionable as an atheist was indeed the pussyfooting and romping depictions of Him. Once I saw the condemnations He makes as to the law, morality, ethics, and faith... then all the cultural attempts to make Him harmless faded away. The Sermon on the Mount is very far from the lambkin-cuddling Lord. The cleansing of the Temple does not match with the rosy-cheeked Jesus.

The only thing Scripture records the Lord Christ making with His own hands is a whip. This actually helped the atheist inside me to see that it's not all just wishful-thinking and wish-fulfillment on the part of Christianity.

Tiffy, Scottish Knight and Celtic1 like this.
  2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    It's interesting reading your own experiences consular. I also think its interesting at what attracts non Christians to Christianity is not always what Christians think will attract them lol. I know someone who first became interested in Christianity because he went to a church to cause trouble ne night and the minister forcefully grabbed him and rammed him against the wall. And this guy thought wow this Christian pastor is no wimp!

How many Christian congregants would advocate this method? :p

Its interesting looking at atheists, generally it attracts men . I'm not really sure why (anyone know psychology? :p) Maybe because it seems logical and straightforward and manly. And at the moment the church seems to be full of women! And yet when you look through history and the Bible Christianity is so manly and strong! And yet many churches don't show this effectively. I was listening through some Christian pop songs, and its so full of basically romantic images. Language borrowed from sexual relationships is used to describe how we feel about Jesus. more like falling in love than giving my allegiance" as one popular song puts it. I love the image of giving Christ allegiance! Read old sermons from the 17th century, its full of descriptions of Christ as king, lord, protector, having a army f angelic beings at his command. ll these are biblical images. You have other songs like "Jesus, lover of my soul" Such songs are not going to attract men into churches lol
    Men, and I think even atheist men would respond better to the old hymns that are hardly ever sung anymore. Anyone remember the hymn using the metaphor of trampling agag's army and cutting off his head for our spiritual warfare anyone?

edit: I am kinda thinking out loud here but its occurred to me reading the new atheists that I think what attracts men in particular to it is that people like Dawkins have convictions! And they stand and argue for them. And I think in myself I am attracted to those Christians who fearlessly stand up for what they believe in. I think the problem is liberalism at root that makes beliefs more fuzzy.So go back to conviction and confession and we shall recruit atheists! :)

Toma likes this.
  3. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    That's an interesting assessment/analogy. In my personal evangelism, I've found the most common person denying or running from God is the sandal wearing, Prius driving, green freak. I always made it a point to mention to these types that Jesus was homeless, wore a beard and long hair, had a common robe and sandals, and said "peace"! It usually got their attention. :)

Jeff

Incense, Toma and Scottish Knight like this.
  4. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    that is interesting! I guess there are aspects of Jesus to appeal to all people:) Not sure if he had long hair though lol

5. Incense

Incense Active Member

A friend of mine was/is reading a book called "Why Men Hate Going to Church" I will borrow it from him when he's done and let you know what the author thinks :cool:

Scottish Knight likes this.